Friday, April 23, 2010

Food for Thought.

Lately, my WiP has been wanting a hearty meal. It's understandable it's growing. Each chapter seems to be a different recipe for a meal that will fill  my baby up. Plus, my muse is constantly pointing the needs of these chapters out to me--whispering in my ear to get crack-- a --lackin.

Chapter 1 has been driving me crazy.  I know,I know here she goes again about her revisions. So sorry if I'm repetitive. I had to change my original version because --well-- it had something every other YA book probably had--a car crash. So I changed it but my heart was not fully in it when I originally wrote it and it  seems flat.  My decision to feed chapter 1 anymore has ceased. I decided to cut up the meat and let it marinate. It needs to sit and brew for a while.

Chapter 2 is different.  I tore all the ingredients apart and started over.  Now all it needs are the spices to make the flavor pop. It's a new and improved recipe that I'm experimenting with and I think it tastes pretty good it just needs a little spice.

Chapter 3 --oh --chapter 3 you just need some sprinkles because you are sweet ---for now.

Chapter 4 is just like chapter 2 but I still need to get to the store to buy the ingredients. The list is in my head and all I have to do is buy the stuff and mix it together with a little TLC.

Once each of these chapters are finished, I will be an excited little cook-- I mean writer. Then I can move onto the other hungry chapters because my baby wants to feel full.  Plus, my muse needs to be satisfied. He  keeps bugging me not only to work on my WiP but to get on with the other work I have to do.

 Who is my muse you ask? Well, the main one who bugs me most is my MC Ian but check my boyfriend book because some of the others (ie. Edward) on that list come to bug me too.  All of them are hungry, so I must go make them a snack.

How do you satisfy your WiP? and your muse?

What chapters/revisions are bugging you? or have left you with delight?

Also, I apologize if you are vegan or vegetarian--please substitude the meat with something you would prefer to marinate.  I'll be posting next week on some awards that I received this week. Thanks guys!

Have a great weekend!

22 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of outlining and writing a new story right now.
    However, my book had issues with the beginning. My publisher suggested a prologue to start the action off with a bang, and I think it made a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow still going strong! Way to go breaking apart what you need and working with it!!

    Chapter 4 was giving me a problem but that's only because I wouldn't get out of my head, when I sat back and saw what I had written I realized I was headed the right direction and now I'm to Chapter 8!! Woohoo!!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't surprise me that chapter 1 is giving you so much trouble because we know those are the first pages to be read. It's the make or break of the novel. In addition, it's establishing everything, while it's got to have tension, good pacing, and create interest. Good luck with your stew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Revisions in general bother me. I HATE editing/rewriting/revising. It is my worst nightmare. It takes so long and constricts me. I wish I had an editor in my pocket that did all that hard work for me. Because I do believe it is the hardest part of actually writing/finishing a novel.

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you're happy with your revisions! Except for that pesky chapter 1, I personally thought it was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited about my revisions, but I'm with everyone else about the first chapter. It's almost there. I just need to add a little more imagery spice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Christine! I enjoyed reading this post, although I must say it made me more than a little hungry! I am in the midst of redrafting at the moment - on chapter 21, with 4 to go. I've been doing it around full time work, and it has been a slow process for me, but when it pulls together, oh I love it. Now, looking back, I will say all have left me in delight (as once they are in the past I can don my rose-coloured glasses), but I am terrified of what I am about to do to chapter 21. Think shiny sharp scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this why I feel like cooking after a successful writing session?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently decided to add an alternate POV to my story instead of must my MC, and I love the idea, but fret it's the wrong decision. I'm waiting for feedback from those I sent my 'new' chapter one to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you pick up a few ingredients for me as long as you are at the store for Chapter Four?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Major props to you for being so focused and productive. I am totally in awe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am starving and your photo just tipped me over the edge!

    I'm impressed, too. Well done!

    To satisfy my muse? Hm, I guess I just sit down and give it the space to musify (not a word but I like it!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have a muse! Is that bad? But good on you with your revisions! Must be a good feeling:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post! I love your analogy. I'll be revising soon, as my WIP is nearing completion!

    Have a fantastic weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still outlining my new story. Well, I did write a kissing scene (or two) the other day just for fun, but still outlining. I can't wait to start writing again. But this time I am planning ahead. No road bumps for me ahead. ::crosses fingers:: ::and toes too, just to make sure::

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS - I tagged you on my blog today. hahah... I can't believe I forgot to tell you. Oh, wait, I can. It's been a long day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear your revisions are going well! If you want to have a car crash in chapter one, then I say go ahead and do it. My current wip has telepathic communication, and the book I'm reading right now has telepathic communication. When I first realized that, I was crushed (because the book I'm reading right now is really popular), but then I realized how many other books have telepathic communication and nobody owns it and if it works than it works. And honestly, I can't think of one YA novel off the top of my head that starts with a car crash.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm too brain dead to be interesting today, Christine. I just wanted to say hi and "Pass the steak!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Christine,
    It's good to hear that your revisions are going well. As for me, work is taking over and I'm not spending as much time with the book as I'd like. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're so funny. I think I satisfy my muse the most after finishing a chapter for the first time. It's a beautiful thing. And then you look at it later and wonder what you were thinking to leave it like you did. Ah well.

    That stew looks pretty dang amazing, though.

    Hang in there with those revisions. You'll get through it one page at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute way to discuss revisions! I often compare getting a book up to scratch as making a meal stew.

    I try to think of every scene as having a feel of inevitability. I don't mean predictability, but inevitablilty. Where if they don't feel like this is the only way things could be, then it can and should be rewritten and changed. Laini Taylor calls it the "snick" effect, where the scene feels like it fits together like a puzzle piece.

    Anyway, that's how I stew those WIPs, keep making them, changing them until they feel right, feel inevitable. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lol, now I'm hungry. . .

    Well for me, I've had writers block for two years and am now only beginning to see the light! I'm only at the rough draft so i'm including everything and writing dreadfully but I always have to remember "there is no such thing as great writing, only great rewriting"
    In regards to chapter 1 - if you want a car crash, have a car crash! If it feels right, go for it. don't compare your work to others in YA field. Not all YA books have car crashes and whose to say that yours will be new spin on it

    ReplyDelete