Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Writing the Next Line.

So I'm jumping the gun on this. I was going to post it later but I have a ton of things to do and posting it tomorrow morning might not happen due to this conference I'm attending (its causing problems).  So sorry for the mislead of days.

Welcome to Writing the Next Line. I tried this last month and everyone seemed to like it. So I'm trying it again.

The Rules: In your comment continue the story.  Try and keep your piece 2-3 lines but visit as often as you like. For example: if you are the first person to comment write 2-3 lines continuing the story I posted.  If you are the second person to comment you must read what I wrote and what the first commenter wrote and continue the story from where the previous comment left off. And so on.  Check here to see how it works.

Here we go --have fun!


Slamming the car door, I ran up the stairs two by two.

God! He's such a jerk! 

"Lexi! Wait!" Jeff yelled.

"Why should I?" My angry words echoed.

I stopped on the top step fumbling through my bag searching for my keys. 

"What did you want me to say?"

"It's not what you said, it's what you didn't say,"  I hissed.

He slowly approached, taking one step at a time. "Lexi, come on. What I didn't say? What's that supposed to mean?!"

"You know what it means. Why do you have to act like a--"

"Like a what. Go ahead say it," he said squinting furiously.

"Like a ..."

The sound of breaking glass came from inside the house, cutting our argument short. My breathing ceased as I looked at my keys then to the door.

It was cracked open.

***********************************************************************
There you have it.  This will be up for a couple of days so come back as often as you like. I will post the whole story when I return.

Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. "Stay here," Jeff commanded.
    I grabbed his arm before he left. "You're not going alone. You don't know who's in there or what you'll be facing."
    Most of all, he didn't know my secret power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to participate but my mind is a total blank today! Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Here," I reached over and grabbed the clay pot of geraniums on the porch and dumped it out, "Take this."

    He looked at me and rolled his eyes.

    "What am I going to do with this?" He hissed.

    "I don't know but it's all I've got." For now, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I unlock the door and Jeff sneaks through the opening. I follow, my hands on the small of his back, pushing him forward.

    My heart races, filling with dread. I know what awaits but how do I tell Jeff? How can I share this dark secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fear sets in but I remain quiet I don't want to be the one to tell Jeff but I also don't want him to see if for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A low growl rumbles from behind the door leading to the kitchen. My heart drops to my feet, then crashes through the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There I see it. I thought I would never see it again. Hadn't I dealt with this all before? Hadn't I buried it deep so I would never have to see it again? I walked over to it, there are on the kitchen floor. It was the...

    ReplyDelete
  8. check out Kate's blog! Shout out for number one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alena

    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man! I wanted to participate but what a cliffhanger to come in on!

    Have fun at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ... body. I was reminded of that silly scene in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" where the body ends up in Harry's hotel room, and he calls the detective and says "they gave her back". That's just what they'd done to me now. They'd given her back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "What the...?" Jeff asked.
    "Cara," I whispered.
    Jeff turned to me, eyes wide. "You know this person?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. No more lines? It was just getting interesting! I'll do another line:)

    "I'm afraid I do" I said to Jeff. "She's my sister."
    "Your sister? I never knew you had a sister" Jeff looked bewildered.
    "We haven't really had that much contact. She's been in isolation in the Sheffield lunatic asylum for years - with no visitors allowed."
    "But... why is she dead? And why is she here?" Jeff asked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Um', I said, scratching an itch in my right ear. 'I didn't think it'd come to this, Jeff. I really didn't. I'm so sorry.'

    'But what the heck is going on?' You knew something like this was going to happen?'

    'Er ... I ...'

    ReplyDelete
  15. 'And what the hell am I doing still holding this clay pot of geraniums? Have you lost it?'

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Oh shush Jeff... Put the pot and look at this. I have a secret power I've never shown anyone."
    I knelt by Cara and touched her forehead. "Fifteen minutes backwards ought to be enough."

    ReplyDelete