Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't be scared...feedback is good.

Thanks again Lilah for hosting the last line blogfest. Great job everyone!


I love feedback.  If you have been reading my posts you know this. I'm now able to really accept criticism (both postive and negitive) pretty well.  I look at it as a learning tool.  You giving a critique helps as well.  Looking at someone else's work can help you strengthen your craft. It helps you recognize what works and what doesn't.  This obviously helps in any stage of your project.

When I first decided to begin this journey, I was scared to death on letting anyone read what I wrote with the thought that they would laugh at me. I got over it and I'm glad I did.  I'm following my passion and I have the most helpful people who are supporting and teaching me as I go. I thought I would share my experience so far on how I get feedback.

I first turn to my family and friends. They mainly provide support but they do give some good feedback too. Love you guys!

Second, I found some critique partners. You can find them anywhere--writers conferences, blogs, etc.
My critique partners rock! (Kelly, Crystal, Summer, Jen and Jon). I couldn't of ask for more. If you can find great critique partners, your life becomes easier.  I know your thinking well doesn't it become harder too because just when you think you have your WiP right they will pick something out that you need to fix.  Yes, but it's a good thing.  It makes you a better writer and your story will love you for it. To my CPs, thanks you're awesome. Keep up the good work. I hope I'm helping you just as much as you're helping me.

Other people who help me--blogger buddies.  That's right --you guys.  You support, critique, encourage, etc. When I whine you listen, when I'm happy you pop the cork on the champagne.   So thanks and I hope I provide the same feelings.

If you just want to start with something small, here are some other places I've found helpful:

1. The Beta Club (Fiction Groupie)-I love this one and it's extremely easy. Just email Roni.  She is great at critiquing and once she's done she posts her critique of your work for other bloggers to see.  They can comment and tell you what they think too.  If you don't want anyone to know it's yours then tell Roni not to post your name.

2. Teen Fire-For YA writers.  You can post 1000 words and get feedback from the members. You may get a visit from someone at Sourcebooks or the fabulous Lisa and Laura.

3. YALitChat-Another source for YA writers. You can post your first five pages and the members will critique it.

4. Authonomy-I have not tried this yet so I'm not sure how it works but it's developed by the book editors at HarperCollins. You can upload 10,000 words or your full manuscript for review. Editors do browse this site.

5. Chimera Critiques--I love this website.  I just got feedback from (3) lovely authors (Callie Forester, Zellie Blake and Erica Spickard).  It's very private, free and extremely helpful.  They are very experienced and super nice. If you have not visited them please do.  They will be having a contest soon, too.

6. Blogfests- It's a great way to get feedback quickly on something you wrote.

Well, there you have it.  My take on getting feedback. 

Where have you gotten feedback from?

What works best for you?

Have a great day!

22 comments:

  1. I've found that critting others is really having a great effect on my own writing. I'm more liable to see what's not working in my own writing before I even write it.

    Rick Daley also has an incredible sight for query critiques -- The Public Query Slushpile -- and I do know agents troll those waters too. I'm sorry, I don't have the link in front of me but I'll come back and post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Christine, thanks for sharing!

    Personally I only have one beta reader so far but I am still revising my MS to meet my criteria before I seek more feedback. I did enter the first 750 words to the Beta Club at Fiction Groupie though. Too bad I've re-written that part since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link for Rick Daley's sight -- The Public Query Slushpile -- is http://openquery.blogspot.com

    This is an invaluable sight to see how they begin and how they end up. The people who comment are very generous with their critiques, and it's a wonderful place to see what others think about your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right Christine! I think critiquing has helped me learn so much, just in the short time I've been doing it. Mostly because of you :) thanks friend! I'm starting to get a little better at taking criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CPs are wonderful. We can only see through our own eyes, and the insight of a varied group is invaluable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking to me and the Beta Club. :) Glad you're finding it helpful. (And Matthew I'll email you--you can always submit revised versions if I haven't critted it yet.)

    And I agree with you, crit partners are worth their weight in gold. I know of all the things I've done, joining a group was the thing that improved my writing the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are great links for critiques! Glad you're getting such good feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fabulous list and Im so glad you found a great critique group--that's really the strongest force for positive feedback you can trust:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh i'll be writing a post on Chimera Critiques later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the initial phase, I have a few friends that I have met online through writing circles who read every few chapters and let me know what works. After that, and after another long reworking, I will try out various ideas by speaking to good friends, and seeing how they react to that scene. I then spend another hefty time reworking! I then give chapters out again, see what the reaction is. I also know a published author who kindly gave her time to read my work and give feedback. Finally I practice writing on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the links, Christine! Feedback is invaluable for writers to get better - and although it can be hard to hear, sometimes we need to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Christine,

    Yes...(*checks calendar*)...when is that ms going to arrive from Christine? Hmmmm.

    Just kidding. I saw that you posted your first pages over at Roni's blog and I wondered if that was the same ms you'd be sending me. No rush. Just get it to me whenever you're ready. :)

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like you, it took me a long time to let anyone (including family) read what I’d write. Fortunately, I got over it, too. Great list! Right now I depend on my critique group, my sister, daughter, and a few trusted early readers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the nice words. I can't imagine writing without my critique group--they are great. Critiquing other people's work has really helped my own--and it's a nice way to feel like I'm giving something back to the writing community. :)
    *********
    www.chimeracritique.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Thank you for sharing those links...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Love all the resources you posted! Good critique partners are essential, I've found, above everything else, for me. I'm not necessarily someone who wants to send my stuff out to lots and lots of people, but I feel like my CPs are so good, I only need them.

    Have you ever had a really BAD critique?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean. I love to receiver constructive critiques on my manuscript. I'm very lucky to be a member of an awesome writing group.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Critique groups and partners are the best. I don't know what I would do without mine. I literally talk to them all. day. long!! I'm sure they LOVE me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Feedback is tough but in the long run you always realize it was helpful!!! Thanks for the linkage!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the links, Christine! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super post, Christine! I recently exchanged with my 2 lovely betas for the first time, and I'm very pleased. Their critiques were thorough and marked up, but that's good! I'm so glad I have people who take the time to edit my work and offer suggestions. Crit buddies really are valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Christine,
    Erica here from the Chimera's. Thank you so much for including us in you're awesome post on Critters and Beta's. We really enjoyed your submission and hope to see you around. I still feel a lil cheated that I didn't get to read any further lol. And yes, I agree, feedback is the best (unless it's from one of those squealing microphones that just sucks)
    Thanks again! Keep your eye out for our next contest.

    ReplyDelete