Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's hot?

So, what is the next big YA thing? I don't know. Although, it doesn't effect what I write, I just find it interesting. When Twilight came out, it seemed like everyone and their mother was writing a vampire book, and now the dytopians have taken over. It's interesting to me. So, what's next? The fairies and the mermaids are having moments, and angels, well, we know they have experienced some attention. There are a some contemporaries that are taking readers by storm. Lots of them great stories and some maybe not. It's all subjective, remember?
My favorite vamps. I don't know why, but lately I'm missing this show and yes, this really has nothing to do with my post. Okay, maybe a little, but not much.

In the world of interior design, we have a thing called color forecasting. A group of people forecast (they do research and stuff) what colors will be the 'must have' paint color combo of the year. I find it so fascinating because that's usually the first question some clients ask me. What's popular now? or What is the next big thing? What's funny is--it's all subjective. If you like it--do it. If not, don't do it because it's what's hot right now because you'll hate it in a few years. Of course, if you have tons of money and don't mind re-doing it over then okay, but not all of us have this luxury.
Color forecasting chart for 2013-2014.

Same goes for writing. If you are writing something simply because you think people will love it because it's hot right now or may be the up and coming thing and you will get an in and make tons of money, please make sure you love it. What I'm saying is write what you love, not what's popular. Most of the books that are up and coming and popular were not written for that reason. They were written from the author's heart. What do you think?

Questions of the day:

What do you like to write?

What do you think will be the up and coming flavor?


Also, head on over to Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog to see the amazing participants for The Insecure Writer's Support Group. I forgot to do my post today. Shame on me. See what deep edits do to ya (yes, I'm sort of losing my mind. That should've been my post). So, go and check them out.

Have a great day!