Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's hot?

So, what is the next big YA thing? I don't know. Although, it doesn't effect what I write, I just find it interesting. When Twilight came out, it seemed like everyone and their mother was writing a vampire book, and now the dytopians have taken over. It's interesting to me. So, what's next? The fairies and the mermaids are having moments, and angels, well, we know they have experienced some attention. There are a some contemporaries that are taking readers by storm. Lots of them great stories and some maybe not. It's all subjective, remember?
My favorite vamps. I don't know why, but lately I'm missing this show and yes, this really has nothing to do with my post. Okay, maybe a little, but not much.

In the world of interior design, we have a thing called color forecasting. A group of people forecast (they do research and stuff) what colors will be the 'must have' paint color combo of the year. I find it so fascinating because that's usually the first question some clients ask me. What's popular now? or What is the next big thing? What's funny is--it's all subjective. If you like it--do it. If not, don't do it because it's what's hot right now because you'll hate it in a few years. Of course, if you have tons of money and don't mind re-doing it over then okay, but not all of us have this luxury.
Color forecasting chart for 2013-2014.

Same goes for writing. If you are writing something simply because you think people will love it because it's hot right now or may be the up and coming thing and you will get an in and make tons of money, please make sure you love it. What I'm saying is write what you love, not what's popular. Most of the books that are up and coming and popular were not written for that reason. They were written from the author's heart. What do you think?

Questions of the day:

What do you like to write?

What do you think will be the up and coming flavor?


Also, head on over to Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog to see the amazing participants for The Insecure Writer's Support Group. I forgot to do my post today. Shame on me. See what deep edits do to ya (yes, I'm sort of losing my mind. That should've been my post). So, go and check them out.

Have a great day!

19 comments:

  1. I think (hope) YA sci-fi will be surging soon!

    I really like the first 3 columns on that color chart, but not too crazy about the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write what I want to read. As it would happen, what I want to read (and write) happens to be what agents and editors are currently looking for. Now I just have to finish my wip. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are talking YA, then I think time travel is the new vampire/black. (which is sort of Summer's prediction)

    Good luck with your edits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From all the books being released recently and covers revealed it's definitely Time Travel. Almost every book I've seen recently has a time travel element. Maybe coming in at a close second is fantasy with some element of war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what the next big thing is, but I'm loving contemporary YAs right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to some sci-fi and adventure stories :) Fingers crossed we'll get some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to write fantasy, space opera scifi, and adventure. I've tried historical fiction, but haven't finished that project . . . basically I get ideas, and the ones that stick with me through thick and thin, those are ones I finish. It's not trendy, but it works for me. I happen to like dystopian fiction, and my one shelved scifi novel has some elements of that in it . . .but I'm not ready to pull it out and polish it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I write what I like to read - fantasy, historical, YA...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've discovered I like to write a lot of different things, ranging from true historical to YA to epic fantasy. I'm not sure I could ever stick to one genre.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you said dystopian has taken over, I write fantasy, but I always have though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote the story I wanted to write and it most definitely was not popular at the time. Glad I did it though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I certainly wish it would be historical fiction, but even if it's not, I wouldn't let that stop me from writing what I love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I started writing in 2010 this was common advice. But recently I've attended a few conferences and workshops where it was actually recommended to "write what people want to read," or write to your genre. I know someone who published well like that but for me it would defeat the purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spike, Spike, Spike...

    I hope we've seen the end of trends. Dystopian didn't last long; Mermaids drowned; Gods never ruled...

    Spike, Spike, Spike...

    Sorry, that picture is distracting me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so with Donna above. I heart Spike.
    (Did I really just write that? What am I, 15?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Angel and Spike were my fav vamps as well.

    I had never heard about color forecasting. Very interesting.

    I'm with you, a writer should write what is in his/her heart. That always makes the best story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can only write from my heart (where vampires don't live but trolls do). I don't think I could make myself write something just because it's trendy or I think it's going to be trendy. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For my shopping newspaper column I do the upcoming colors of the season too! And what I've realized is that after a while, they all blend into one another. So I no longer care what's up and coming. I've gotten better at not caring. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh and I forgot, ANGEL ALL THE WAY!

    ReplyDelete