Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday Mumbles

It's Monday. Yep, Monday totally makes my brain tired just by saying the word. I hope everyone has recovered from the weekend. I'm still super sleepy and have a ton of edits to get back to, so this will be quick.

In an earlier post, I talked about a writing exercise where you add a character to an existing TV show or movie (fan fiction). Here's another non-traditional and easy way to get your juices flowing. It's something I've been doing for a very long time. Using music. Usually when music hits me a certain way, characters will make an appearance and show me a scene in their life, which then develops into a full fledged novel. But what I want to talk about is another way to pump up your brain by using music. This is how it works.

Take you favorite song or any song.

Got it. Now play it and listen to the words. Really listen.

Try and form a video from it--in your head. Let the music guide you to what you might think the video would or should be like.

See it.

Now write it. Develop it. It doesn't have to be long. Use the senses, set the setting, create the characters (or use the band) . . . feel it. You may be surprised what you might create.

It's fun and it gets the mind moving. Plus, you get to listen to some great music, and you may get some exercising by dancing to it (if it's fast).

How was your weekend?

Did you get your Hunger Games tickets? I did. So excited!!

Have a great day!