Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pushing reset


It's a strange feeling to start over, basically push reset on the old brain. I've been revising and editing that to start something from the beginning is almost scary. I do have some other projects started, and one to edit, but I'm not sure which one to focus on. I may teeter between two that I've been outlining. It almost like I feel stripped down, like I've had a loss and I'm trying to fill it with something. Weird, I know.

In some ways, it's exciting. A whole new story, new characters, new voice, new possibilities like I'm about to get a make over after losing twenty pounds. It's freeing.

Then I ask myself, "Can I do this again?" I know I can. I've done it before. It's just a feeling and it will pass.

Who knows what will happen, but I'm looking forward to fresh air.

What are your feelings after you finish a project?

Have a great day!

11 comments:

  1. How funny that we wrote about the same thing today! Nothing is more frustrating to me than not having a manuscript I love to work on, and sounds like you feel the same way!

    Of course, this is parent/conference week at work, so it's kind of an exhausting time for me anyway. I've decided to give myself until Spring Break (April 3) to flounder around and do nothing. Then, when I'm off from work, I'm going to hole up in the basement and jump into some new project. I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always question myself when starting a new project even though, like you, I know I can do it. It's still daunting though! My favorite moments are nearly finishing a first draft and when the whole thing is finally ready to send out to agents. It's usually all downhill after that though...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know it took me almost a year to be able to write something new (that I could like) after my major revisions. And I had to start with a short story.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such an odd feeling, isn't it? I try my best to focus on another project. Or take some time off and do fun things that make me happy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finishing is very rewarding for about the first minute, then I kind of panic. Now I have to come up with something else! Can I? Will it be worthwhile? Oh dear, the doubts pile up around my ears.

    I had to stop in after I read your post on Alex's blog about being a sucker for Poe. Me too! He started scaring me in high school and has never stopped. See you around the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree! Finishing is great and starting something new is exhilarating--but at the same time, nerve wracking to think of all that has to go into making a book happen. We just have to do it in steps, and try not to be overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Can I do it again?" definitely comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always try to have something ready to start on right away, I don't like that between book slump where I'm not quite ready to start writing and still figuring out how I want to spend the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally--you feel lost!! You'll find your mojo again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always want to start new projects, which is why nothing i have is revised properly. I'm forcing myself to stick with the revisions I'm doing, even though I have a new idea in my head that is screaming to be worked on.

    ReplyDelete