Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yoga = Idea

Photo removed.
Totally not me. I did not look like this. I wish my class was on a beach.

I started to take yoga and last night was my first class. I really enjoyed it. I'm actually not as sore as I thought I would be, which is a good thing. It's very soothing once you get your brain to slow down. As you know, my brain is hard to shut off. I really don't have a moment of thinking of nothing, you know, totally blank. My brain always has something. Even when I get a massage, my brain is still pushing around thoughts, ideas, and what I need to do. So, I thought maybe yoga might make my mind go blank. It didn't. I did relax, which I need, but mind blankage, no.

Through most of the class, my brain did it's normal flash everything in my head, a whole bunch of jumbled thoughts mixing together,but towards the end something happened. We had to lay flat and do a breathing technique. As I stared at the ceiling fan, an idea popped in my head. I froze thinking, crap, I don't have my journal. The longer I laid there, the more the idea formed and next thing I knew I was outlining the novel in my head, and characters introduced themselves. They even gave me their names. I started to panic because I wanted to find a piece of paper, or something to write all of this down before my brain erased it. I kept repeating everything in my head so I wouldn't forget.

Once the class ended, I rushed home to write down my findings, but the kids needed bedtime stories. The story started to fade, but I did get some of it down. I did lose some details, but I hope to recover them. I guess yoga is not only good for relaxing, but brain storming. I have to remember not to have a panic attack while trying to do yoga breathing. It sort of counteracts what I was trying to do in the first place. Relax.

Have ideas come to you when you couldn't get to your journal or notebook?

Have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. I don't think I'm flexible enough for Yoga, but I do meditate. Don't really get story ideas that way though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, panic attacks at yoga are counteractive.

    However, next week when you're laying on the floor breathing, think of the story again and keep your journal in the car. That way it will be fresh before you go home to chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ideas usually come at the most inconvenient times! My mind is like yours. It never stops. It takes me a long time to fall asleep at night unless I'm thoroughly exhausted. I get a lot of story ideas while out and about with my son, but chasing after a toddler doesn't allow for a minute to write something down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to know how you go with yoga. I'm just starting to diet and I'm looking for a not to scary exercise to go with it.

    Also, do you think anyone would notice if you sneaked a pen in and wrote on your hand? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my ideas come when I'm nowhere near anyplace to write them down. Like when I'm cooking, or going on a walk. I think our minds work better during those times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this problem when I run.

    One day I knew I was going to have to brainstorm to solve several plot problems, so I took a pen with me on my run. I discovered two things:

    1. It's hard to write on your body (I ended up writing on my calf).

    2. It takes two days to scrub off the ink. Something to keep in mind during short season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started a new yoga class, too. I haven't gotten any ideas during the relaxation part, but I did almost fall asleep once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, in the midst of a business phone conversation while driving down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yoga as brainstorming--I need to try that! But I'm awful at yoga. I have no balance at all, so I'm always the one who falls down and laughs and ruins the class for everyone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've recently taken up yoga myself. I'm on to my 8th class. I really like it. The more I do it, the more I learn to shut my mind off. The point is not to even GET ideas! LOL. You'll get there eventually if you keep going. I'm ALMOST there. Yesterday, by the end of the class when I was lying on my back, I believe I did completely shut off, until I realized that I was clenching my jaw, and then started thinking about all the other little habits that are probably really bad for me. LOL! So today, I'm going to be thinking about my jaw, I imagine ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. There have been several times, especially in the car, where I didn't have anything to write on, so I have to run the info through my head over and over, hoping I don't forget before I can write it down. Doesn't always work, unfortunately.

    It's been a long time since I've done yoga, but it's an excellent way to free your mind. I've done the relaxation exercises many times to get my brain to shut off so I can sleep at night. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL--totally happened to me at yoga during the breathing exercises! Glad you got most of it down!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! That's amusing. It apparently cleared your mind enough for the story ideas to come rushing in! ;o) I'm glad you didn't lose much of those neat ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take a notebook with you in the car!
    Darkened movie theater. Really hard to see what I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ideas come at the oddest times. Mine are when I''m in the shower. I keep a notebook in the bathroom now. I've ruined two by dripping water on them.
    I'm glad you got some of your ideas down before it totally faded!

    ReplyDelete