Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yoga = Idea

Photo removed.
Totally not me. I did not look like this. I wish my class was on a beach.

I started to take yoga and last night was my first class. I really enjoyed it. I'm actually not as sore as I thought I would be, which is a good thing. It's very soothing once you get your brain to slow down. As you know, my brain is hard to shut off. I really don't have a moment of thinking of nothing, you know, totally blank. My brain always has something. Even when I get a massage, my brain is still pushing around thoughts, ideas, and what I need to do. So, I thought maybe yoga might make my mind go blank. It didn't. I did relax, which I need, but mind blankage, no.

Through most of the class, my brain did it's normal flash everything in my head, a whole bunch of jumbled thoughts mixing together,but towards the end something happened. We had to lay flat and do a breathing technique. As I stared at the ceiling fan, an idea popped in my head. I froze thinking, crap, I don't have my journal. The longer I laid there, the more the idea formed and next thing I knew I was outlining the novel in my head, and characters introduced themselves. They even gave me their names. I started to panic because I wanted to find a piece of paper, or something to write all of this down before my brain erased it. I kept repeating everything in my head so I wouldn't forget.

Once the class ended, I rushed home to write down my findings, but the kids needed bedtime stories. The story started to fade, but I did get some of it down. I did lose some details, but I hope to recover them. I guess yoga is not only good for relaxing, but brain storming. I have to remember not to have a panic attack while trying to do yoga breathing. It sort of counteracts what I was trying to do in the first place. Relax.

Have ideas come to you when you couldn't get to your journal or notebook?

Have a great day!