Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The query debate

Here is something I asked a while ago--When is the best time to query? What I got was mixed, but I did get don't do it around the holidays, which makes sense. Yes, the holidays are approaching fast, and, well, as much as I like them, I want them over. You heard me. They are joyous and all that, sorry for sounding like scrooge, but I need to move on. I want to get out there in the trenches good or bad. I still have work to do, I know, but if I get it to where I want it to be, I feel like I have to wait till next year due to the holidays. Blah. So do I wait till January? February? Don't tell me March.

 I know I shouldn't be pressuring myself with a deadline. Learn and strengthen, but life's circling around me like a tornado, making me dizzy. I want to go into a cave (with electricity, heat, and a bathroom) and shut the world out. I know what has to be done, I see it, it's finding the time to do it without interruption. It's like when you get towards the end of an awesome book. You have about 10-20 pages left and you're in the heat of the final scene and you keep getting interrupted, but you just want to finish. Yeah, that's how I'm feeling.  I guess I want to feel apart of the whole thing, a little validated. I also don't want to miss an opportunity. I know, stupid, right? Everyone goes through this and I will get there. Do it right. Don't compare yourself. I know. I know.  I guess this picture sums up my feeling.
 

I've got my mindset in check, just some natural feelings poke through now and again. So, my blog posts may be here or there. I'm going into that posh cave I was talking about. I need to shut myself out. I have a few posts that are scheduled, but I may be M.I.A. for a while. I know I said this before, but I need to focus.

So, my question out of all of that nonsense--If I finish in a rather soonish manner, should I wait till next year to query? If it's next year, which I'm pretty sure will be the case, how soon after the new year should I start?

Have a great day!