At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.
For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.
But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?
This isn't something I would normally read. It's a Young Adult chick lit (I think that is what you could call it). I read a lot of dark and write a lot of dark, but something a little lighter (like this) with lots of great humor helps the mind take a break from heavy. So, here are some reasons I liked this book and spotlighted this author.
1. This book has great voice. I love, love, love books with voice and April's voice is great. I could relate to this gal.
2. This book brought back many memories of how kids act in high school.
3. The pace is awesome and I loved the writing (first person, present tense, my favorite).
4. I couldn't put it down. I needed to know what happened. Good sign of a book full of awesome.
5. Did I mention voice? April's one liners are fantastic. I smiled the whole time I was reading this. Oh and the other characters are fabulous too.
6. Amy Holder (author) is super sweet, seriously, if you ever meet her, you would see what I mean.
Also,go check out the other bloggers who are spotlighting an author. Thanks to Christina for putting this together.
Any debut authors you would like to share?
Have you read The Lipstick Laws?
Have a great day!!