Monday, October 24, 2011

Making it work

First, thanks again to Matt (QQQE) for his great query critique. So helpful. Also, thanks to everyone who left me feedback and commented. I really appreciate it.

So, I watch Project Runway, yes, I do. I find it fascinating to see what the designers are going to come up with because I'm lucky if I can sew a button onto a shirt so to me these people are amazing. My method for watching the show is as follows: Watch the beginning to find out the challenge, then skip to the end to see the result. So what's wrong with that picture? The work in between. Actually, I tend to not watch the middle because of the drama factor and I will every so often stop in the middle to see Tim Gunn's critiques. It's interesting to listen to what he has to say to help, but leaves it up to the designer for their final decision and execution. Just like writing, right?

We come up with these ideas, which are beyond awesome, write till our fingers bleed, then send it out and wait to hear if it all makes sense. When we get it back there may be notes and lots of red. Don't panic. I used to panic beyond control, now, let's just say, I'm in a better mindset. We must take all the advice we are given and as Tim Gunn puts it 'Make it Work.' That's right. Whether we choose to listen to our betas/CPs is up to you. You must take the advice and make it work with your vision or you may not. Totally up to you. After doing this for 2+ years I've finally come up with a formula, which I'm sure a lot of you use. If two or more folks point out something then give it attention. If only one person does, then it's debatable. I have to weigh what I think will work for me and my story.

This is where I'm at--making it all work, improving, pushing myself beyond where I thought I would no longer go. It's refreshing and scary, but in the end, I will be a better writer for it and hopefully my novel will catch the attention of an agent. I've had eureka moments all weekend on what I need to do. At least, I have more time versus what the contestants have on the show except they don't have kids asking for something every five minutes. We all have out challenges. 
So, are you making it work?

Have a great day!