Monday, October 3, 2011

The Kiss

The weekend was good. Lots of activity. I did finish my tense conversion on manuscript #1 so you could say I'm super excited. I hope (fingers crossed), I finish my revisions this week so my betas can have it by the end of the week. Again, fingers crossed. Then it's onto the dreaded query (hope it will be painless). So none of this has anything to do with the title of this post. Sorry.

Here is what I wanted to get at. I like writing romance. In fact, pretty much everything I write has it in it. Somebody is kissing somebody, so you could say, I have have a soft spot for kissing scenes. I'm torn between wanting the tension to just get it over with. I know I don't like the tease of flirty through a whole book and nothing, such a let down, but I don't think I'm a big fan of the kiss in the second chapter. Depends, I guess. Here's the thing, I just cut my kissing scene that happens sort of early in the book (don't worry it wasn't the second chapter). I guess it just depends on the characters, but I was torn. I thought in the end it may add a little more tension. We will see what the betas say.

What's your take--

Do like the tension or the early kiss?

This is if you like romance in your novels, or even if you don't, let me know your thoughts on romance in YA.

How was your weekend? 

Have a great day!

16 comments:

  1. Personally, I'm all about tension and stretching the character beyond both their means. I love keeping the reader in suspense. Saying that, caution must be used. It's a delicate balance. I usually give the reader a little break by having the two MCs call an informal truce for maybe a scene or chapter. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my thoughts--I love the tension, the build up of wondering if and when the characters will kiss. I also like when the author has teased me a bit...I think the characters are going to kiss, but suddenly they don't for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, not into the romances as much, but I'd have to say I'd prefer building tension.
    Now in real life, I just want to skip to the kissing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tension, too, but not for too long or I get frustrated! I think you can have an early kiss but only if you pull the two love birds apart and make them wait for the second one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give me TENSION! Once boy and girl tangle tongues, the sizzle, well, fizzles. Only romance authors who know how to bring boy and girl together only to rip them apart can get away with the early kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the tension to build up, but there is also something to be said for the second chapter kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who's to say you can't have an early kiss as a source of tension? You know, like kissing the wrong person, or getting caught kissing when you shouldn't, or...there are loads of possibilities there, just ask Harlequin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love tension and withholding the gratification (no pun intended) for as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had an early kiss (about midway through) in my WiP, and I cut it. Now the kiss is 2/3 of the way through, which helped me with my tension problems. It all depends on the story, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like tension because there it's so much fun to root for the kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely! If it's too easy, it's a big let down. You have to make the characters and readers desperate for that kiss. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the tension. Makes the kiss more fulfilling and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tension and delayed gratification, it is not even a close call. For me it is the build up to the kiss that makes the kiss so exciting. Will they - won't they kiss? God are they EVER going to kiss? I love it when they come close to kissing but stop short or when their faces are close enough to kiss but something or one of the two prevents it from happening. The more obstacles along the journey to the kiss the better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm all about the tension. Nice cut, I think. Hope that your betas come back with everything you are hoping for.

    Draven
    http://dravenames.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to tell you -- there's nothing painless about writing a query. Ugh! But it pales in comparison to writing a synopsis!

    As for early kisses -- I'm not fond of it happening too easily. I like some tension between the romantic characters at the beginning of the story. Give me the old "I love him. I hate him." dilemma!

    However, in my last WIP, I did include an early kiss - kind of a hot one, too. Nothing sweet about it at all. But the characters were both tipsy and regretted it afterwards. The early kiss increased the tension between them. They didn't like each other (or so they claimed), and one of them went so far as to pretend he didn't even remember it.

    So, it all depends on the story, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely prefer building the tension - as a reader and a writer :-)

    ReplyDelete