Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's amazing what music can do.

Music can set off a feeling, influence a mood or inspire an idea. You know it when you watch a movie, TV show, etc. If you turn down the music sometimes the whole scene can fall flat. It really doesn't feel the same. Music, as you know, is a huge inspiration to me. Almost all my ideas are sparked by a song. It just happens.

Music can also calm and heal. I believe it. Let me tell  you why. A good friend of mine believes that every time she's down, or she's discouraged the song "Lightning Crashes" by Live will play. She's convinced. At first, I was like, yeah right, but then I witnessed it. Something was bothering her and when we got in the car. The song played. Sure could be coincidence, but I witnessed it on a number of occasions over the course of years (long after the song was popular).

It also happens to me. Call it what you will, but every time I feel discouraged or defeated "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World comes on the radio. Every time. Serious. When it first started happening the song was popular, but it's still happening years later. Now, I know you are going to say it's all in my head, blah, blah. Maybe, I'm just reaching for anything, but it feels me with hope and I carry on.

Does this happen to you or am I the only one who might have some reaching-for-anything issues?

I'm going to be in my posh cave for a while. I may be back on Monday, but I need to go and focus. :) Happy weekend!!

FYI--If you click the link to the Jimmy Eat World video, um, I don't go to parties like that. :)

14 comments:

  1. I've seen the video - I don't do parties like that either! I can't think of a song or anything that comes on when I'm down, but I don't listen to the radio often either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make room for me in the revising cave because I'll be in there all day with you ; )

    Oooooh, how about a friendly, motivational wager? Whoever revises more pages today must buy the other a drink the next time we get together. We could set a time limit, like say, in a three hour time period and the time spent doesn't have to be consecutive...just has to happen today. Then we can report back to each other by 9 pm.

    What do ya say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love music. I can't write to music but I will sometimes be inspired by it. I love my mental sountrack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music is one of the best tools available to a writer. My pick me up song is What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music instantly takes me back to a time in my life associated with the tune. One listen of "Footloose" on the radio and I am in a school bus surrounded by third graders again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Music can always lift me out of a bad mood! And I love that Jimmy Eat World song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi miss christine! wow! cool post! for sure music is a big help in getting your mood lots better. for me when im feeling down or real sick i listen to that reggae song three little birds. sometime i could just hear it in my head saying "dont worry bout a thing cause every little thing gonna be alright"
    ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music is amazing! I love to listen to the different mixes on Spotify, there's mixes for cleaning, thinking, writing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree That's why when I need a certain mood to write, I'll listen to right kind of music!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't write with music on (ADHD'er). :(

    Have fun in your revision cave. I'm going to be hanging out in mine, too, for part of the weekend. The part when I'm not chauffeuring the kids to their activities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, I feel that way with Dog Days by Florence and the Machine! Hey whatever keeps you going, ya know? And haven't heard Lightening by Live in so long, but would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Music always helps me when I'm down and inspires me when I write. And best of all, it cheers me on when I drudge through laundry-folding and ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish music would play during important moments in my life (you know, like a musical).

    There's always a tune running through my head that's usually related directly to how I'm feeling. I can't say I hear a song when I get bummed out, but I'm going to be listening for it now.

    I think it's kind of cool that happens to you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has totally happened to me too!

    And Jimmy Eat World is a good band for one of your "life soundtrack" songs.

    Ever put together a sound track to your life?
    Mine definitely includes the Icelandic post-rock band Sigur Ros.

    ReplyDelete