Friday, April 1, 2011

Research the agent.

I think mother nature is playing a cruel April Fools joke on us today. It's snowing. Funny, mother nature, jokes over, right? I'm also not feeling my best. It seems whatever my kids had this week has now hit me. So I will keep this short.

I hit 15 K yesterday and I'm thrilled. I really hope to finish the first draft by May. This story is just rolling along. I will have some things to change around and revisions, okay, a lot of revisions, but that's the whole process. I'm finally at the point that I'm comfortable with the way I write. Out of order. To this point, I've been writing it in order, but today I must write the end. It keeps bugging me and I know it might change, but it may help the middle.

I've been thinking about the whole query process, and yeah, it scares me. Part of me is excited, the other half, shaking like crazy. I may be premature in thinking about it, but it will come one day. As with anything, I will have to do research to see what agent is good for me, and everything that goes along with it. Of course, I have to be 100% that my manuscript is to the best of my ability, along with the query letter. Yikes. But research takes time, so in the down time, or when I'm stuck, I start to look at this stuff.

Of course, you have to research what each agent is looking for--don't just send your baby to anyone. Make sure they are interested in your genre. Also, submissions guidelines. Make sure you follow these or you're not going to get an answer. Don't forget, never give any money up front. Agents are working for you, so if someone asks for it, let's just say, decline. Would you pay someone to take away your child or pet? Don't answer that unless it's the same answer as me. No. I wouldn't get rid of them, but I hope you see my point. That may be a weird analogy.

Anyway, I think we get so caught up in the writing process we tend to forget that we should know the business too. This will help you understand what goes on, and not leave you in the dark. Plus, don't you want to know what happens to your baby. It is like another child (At least to me. Okay, don't look at me like that). It should be in the best care as possible.

I've been guided to some sites. QueryTracker.net, Association of Author's Representatives, Absolute Write, and AgentQuery.

Do you have any others to add?

Any advice when I start my research?

I know my comments have been limited, and, well, they still will be limited. Sorry. I'm writing, folks. I also need to do a big awards post. Thanks to all of you who have given me an award. You're so sweet.

Have a great weekend!