Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Out of Order

So, I don't got much today. My brain seems to be in overdrive. With lots going on in my life, and my determination spark constantly igniting, heating my creativity, and pushing me to sit in front of a computer screen, not much else goes on. My surroundings swirl, and when I look at what I wrote, well, sometimes a smile spreads, and sometimes, weird foreign sounding curse words are whispered. All and all work is getting done, but not quickly.

When writing a first draft, I can't seem to write in order. I've been trying, but it's not happening. I write totally out of order. I wrote up to the middle, and I wrote the end, and now, I'm writing the 3/4 mark. Now, when I think out of order, I think broken, and sometimes a toilet comes to mind. So, does that mean I'm broken? Yikes. I'm trying not to relate to the toilet. Unless, that means everything I write out of order goes 'down the toilet.' In that case, I should just hang the sign up on this WiP or my head.


I know some of the scenes will change, but I think it's my way of figuring out the story. I know people have their own methods of writing and there are a lot of them. I'm just curious because I'm beginning to feel that my method is on the odd side.

So, tell me peeps, What is your method?

Do you write out of order?

You know my brain is distracted when I have a post that short. Have a great day!

13 comments:

  1. You are most definitely not broken. You're a beautiful writer and I feel blessed to ever had the opportunity to read it.

    I for one can't write a story unless I have a beginning middle and end. That's not to say there aren't empty blanks in-between that need to be filled in but it's the basic set up I allow my character to fufill before moving on. Consider it their application.

    GOOD LUCK! I know you're made of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write in order. I might write a bare bones scene but I usually know what is going to happen. I save the scenes I want to write for when I get to them. It encourages me to work harder. And lots of writers write broken like that so no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never write in order. I start at the beginning, but then in the middle, I jump around with scenes, and as I cruise toward the 3/4 mark I write the end. This allows me to think I'm actually done and all I have to do is fill in. And when I do finish, if I don't like the end I can always change it.

    It doesn't matter how you write, only that you write so go you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that you're not broken! There is no one method that works for everyone. Better that you "catch fireflies" before they disappear, instead of trying to force your idea-making into some kind of schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't write out of order. I did that as a teen and it meant i only wrote the fun action scenes and never went back for the filler stuff. Now that i outline and write linearly, novels actually get finished

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write linear. I just can't seem to move forward until I know I'm completely finished with what I wanted to say at the current spot. It's irritating. Especially now that my shiny new idea is probably going to be a series and all the good stuff happens LATER... grr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've written both ways. I mean, how can I write the middle when the end scene won't leave me alone? Not possible. You are not out of order. It will all come together. Good luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Laura Pauling, while I outlined I wrote snippets of later scenes as they came to me but I haven't written a fully fleshed scene out of order, except accidentally-- my writing for the last few days is going to be moved from the first half of Act 2 to the second half.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely straight through. But the longer I'm around "writer people" the more methods to our madness I hear about. I think the best motto is to keep doing what you're doing if it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I write out of order more and more often the past year and I dread it, honestly. I hate going back and blending the material together. Still, when you fall asleep thinking about a scene and then wake up and have to write it down or you'll lose it like I do, there's not much choice...I hope, at least, I'm getting better at it!

    ~bru

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...I try not to write out of order...but when needs arise and my interests out-duel better judgment, I cheat...and skip around. As long as it falls into place with the final sentence, all's well:)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I write a synopsis for all my long fiction before I get started, so I could totally write out of order if I wanted. I haven't yet, but that's only because I'm a tad anal about cause and effect issues in stories. But I'm sure I will, when I hit a block sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are not broken! I write essays out of order. Short stories, too. I don't like to do that for novel though.

    ReplyDelete