Monday, April 25, 2011

Don't forget to Live

The weekend was good. Lots of time spent with friends and family. Plus, we had great weather yesterday. A couple of things happened last week that got me to think about a lot. I hear you, "Uh oh, she's thinking." Before you snooze, I promise I'll try and make this short (especially because the list I have is way long).

I get caught up in a lot of things. The worlds I create, the characters, critiques, blog, facebook, writer friends, you know. Then I look at my house you know how that is--there's laundry which takes days to do and then when you finish, it starts all over, dust piled up about an inch thick, cat litter (not discussing), dinners, attention, toys r us throwing up all over your family room (so much cleaning up is required to walk), broken glasses that need to get fixed, birthday parties, showers, doctors appointments, yeah everyday life gets crazy.

But then all of it stops when your 5 year old asks you this, "Mommy, why do things die?" Yeah. I think I stopped breathing. Now, I know questions like this are coming and I try to answer them in the best five year old way that I can while being honest. I explained, in a brief sort of way, an answer. Then she hit me with this--"Mommy, will you die?" Which my heart broke especially because she started crying. Again, I answered as honest and as easy as I could.

My point--Get out and live when you can. Yes, I like to curl up in my cave and write, revise, live in my worlds and talk to my characters, but there is a point where I have to shut it off and get out. Clense the mind and soak in  a little bit of real (I know scary). I want all of it--the agent, the book deal and I want people to say hey she's a great author or have someone come up to me at a book signing and say, "I love your characters." I dream big. I'm determined, like really determined, plus, I have a lot of proving to myself and to others that I can. This is not a hobby, I know it. I have to prove to others it's not.

As much as I want all of it now, yes, like today, I'm willing to work my butt off for it. It may take years, but I have to stop and breathe. To soak in life. Hey, you never know what may spark a story.

How was your weekend?

Do you stop and soak life in?

Any goals this week?

My goals--Small for writing, hopefully to write 1k. Small compared to the past few weeks, but the hubs is off next week so I have to get things in order.

Have a great day!