Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What's Your Writing Process Blogfest

Thanks to Shallee for hosting this blogfest. Go Here to check out the other participants.

Well, I'm not a super authority on the writing process. If you read my blog regularly, you know this. I'm always searching for new ways to make my process easier. What I've learned is that making it easier is not always right. It has to be right for me and fit me, like a comfortable shoe. So with that said, I will describe the process that I've done already, and that may be my fit, despite the hair pulling it's given me.

Most of my ideas are inspired by music. Yes, music. A song will play and I will get a scene popping into my head like a movie trailer. After that, the characters start to show themselves and more songs will start to fill in the other scenes and the story is born. Everything I've written has a soundtrack (the two pieces I'm working on have soundtracks on my music page above).

From there I do characterization, filling journals of each character describing them, with their age, likes, dislikes, and their part in the story. As I do this, I continue writing scenes usually starting with dialogue. It's how I see it in my head...characters talking, then action. After I write the dialogue, I go back and add the details. I don't write from the first chapter through the end. I tried this and for me it doesn't work, at least not now. If I need to, I do world building loosely. This helps me understand the rules of the world or race of the being.

With my first novel, I wrote it not doing anything, making it up as I went. This has made me frustrated though, because I'm now re-writing a lot. Patience is not my forte. I do like to free write, to clear my head, the problem with this is I need a certain atmosphere to write--No one around to bother me and I must be listening to my inspiration music. This is not the case at my house. Let's just say, I can't wait till both kids are in school.

So far, this seems like my fit. The novel just writes itself as I go, just some things have to be worked out before hand. If I think too much about it, all the creativity gets lost.  Oh and lots and lots of chocolate.

Can't wait to see the other processes.

Oh and please go vote for Illustrator, Kaitlyn McCane's windmill design. So cute. It's looks great as a T-shirt. Check it out here and vote.

Have a great day!

24 comments:

  1. Wow I can't believe I missed signing up for this blog fest! Great entry to say the least! Music is a very powerful way to come across a great story idea, mine is while I'm dreaming and with good music mixed in it's a perfect success!!

    I adore Kaitlyn her work constantly impresses me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of anyone saying music was their avenue, but I can see that. It does open your mind, listening to someone like Norah Jones, very evocative. I'm in rewrites at the present. Arduous work right now, but it is a great time for me to wrap up all my little notes and scratchings, to get my chapters aligned and my synopsis started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that t-shirt. Thanks for putting it on your famous blog! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your process sounds a lot like one of my CPs writing process. She makes a soundtrack for each WiP. For me, I can listen to music sometimes while writing, but mostly I need quiet (which is hard with three kids in the house). Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I can't start writing unless I have a soundtrack. I probably spend more time finding the perfect music than working on characters or plot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always interesting to hear how others do things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What I've learned is that making it easier is not always right." So, so true.

    I wish I liked free writing...it seems so organic and productive...but that shoe just doesn't seem to fit me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your process! I get flashes of things from music too. And I LOVE to pants. Just fly away with the story and write it as it comes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. every process is different, I enjoyed reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    Yep, can see how music can inspire one to muse a story! Artwork does it for me.

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this! I love what you said about a process fitting like a shoe-- it's so true. I love looking at everybody's "shoes" and seeing if there's anything new that might be a good fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hearing how other writers work. I'm the opposite - my creativity is snuffled out if I approach my writing without a good plot. I tried pantsing once - and failed epically!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first novel went the same as yours. :) I'm still learning and searching, too. Music is a great inspiration. I usually have theme songs for my novels, which help me spin the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been inspired by music--it's not the usual way ideas come to me, but they sometimes that's just the way it works for a certain novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your process. My house has to be completely quiet for me to write too, and I have four kids to keep it noisy. They are really good at it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with making the process easier. For my new MG I took a set of lyrics cut the statements into strips, moved them around and began the planning. This song is the foundation and the inspiration - I've never found a story idea - the moral and the fibre of the book - hidden in a song before :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore music! I need it as much as I need characters when I write.

    I like making it up as I go along. Trying to work with an outline now though - I think I am now a cross between a plotter and panster.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish music inspired me like it does you. Whenever I've tried it, I end up so tense I can't write.

    It's good we all have our own way of doing things.

    Turn on the music and write away!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow I love that music is your inspiration and you have a soundtrack for your work. That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I use soundtracks too. They get me in the mood for my characters. Your process sounds very organic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too get inspired by music. Your process sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christine,

    I just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog today. I just now realized that you already have this award, but you deserve it anyway. Thanks for being my writing friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a week late, but catching up on this blogfest now after I finally put my own entry up =)

    So interesting! And so true :)

    Can't believe I didn't follow your blog yet... *rectifies*

    ReplyDelete