Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Paying attention to the signs

You know I'm a sucker for things to guide me--whether it be optimism, inspiration, what to eat...yeah I'm always searching for some sort of guidance. This week has been a challenge. With the Kitchen renovation, writing time has been...pretty much minimal. This makes me cranky. I'm sure you all know this by now, plus there are some health things that have been bothering me, that are not life threatening, just annoying.

I also have been beating myself up with my writing. I did write one thing, a new idea, which I'm excited about (it's for my blogfest). I may turn it into a full blown story. The problem is, I want to finish a freakin' round of revisions for WiP#1. Can I least finish it? Jeez. Every other story I have written has been put aside unfinished. WiP#1 is my baby, my love, and I've gotten good feedback, but needs at least (or maybe more) another round of revisions before line edits. Really, could my brain just cooperate and let go to finish one round of revisions instead of wandering. I shouldn't complain, I know.

So, yeah, I'm looking for signs.

Since I've been down and out, I watched a movie (I've been reading like crazy and love the books, but it's sort of made me feel worse because it makes me feel so not worthy). I watched something that wasn't my norm, but intriguing.

The World's Fastest Indian starring Sir Anthony Hopkins. I think it was made about five years ago, but it is what I needed to see and it's based on a true story.


Here's the blurb:
The life story of New Zealander Burt Munro, who spent years building a 1920 Indian motorcycle -- a bike which helped him set the land-speed world record at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats in 1967.

Now, I know what you are thinking. What? She watched that? Yes, I did. It's just what I needed for a lift. It's not like I would ever stop writing, but I get into slumps of insecurity, beating me down to make me think that it may never be. This movie though really made me think about that. The character, Burt Munro, kept going no matter what, and at age 68 set a speed record that (I think) still holds today. Flippin' amazing. Trust me, that bike wasn't safe, but his optimism, his belief, that he could do it, got him to that goal.


So, thanks, Burt Munro, for the pick up. The sign I needed. A movie. Crazy.

Have you noticed any signs lately that have helped you?

Have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. Sure signs are everywhere. Issue is reading them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, do I have to bring the whip out? Now get back to those revisions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great movie and i love the quote about if you stop dreaming you might as well be a cabbage (or something like that). my latest sign was from an Arthur show on PBS where a girl's muse told her to trust her heart and her story.

    btw, love the background you chose for the blog. for some reason, it's familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO like you it's crazy. No wonder we get along so well! This is lame, but...I was needing a pick me up like crazy last week and wanted a "sign" to. I was watching TV one night (Private Practice actually- hey, don't judge) and one of the characters, Violet (ha!), wrote a book. I sat there thinking, if she can write a book and get it published, so can I! Lame, I know, but it helped my mental state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sign was finding Jane Austen's 'Emma' on sale the week after Christmas. It was just the thing to jumpstart my last wip. I've written 24K and nailed the query just in the last week alone. Also being on hiatus helps.

    Stop pressuring yourself so hard. You'll get an ulcer. I should know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of what my grandparents did. AT 65 they decided to fufill their dream of biking across canada.. I can tell you that as an eleven year old, that was probably the most inspirational thing I could've been a part of (even if I was just seeing them off and welcoming them home).

    I hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, i have that movie on my netflix queue! Was it good? Worth the watch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all get into slumps like that. I usually IM with one of my CPs when I need a pick-me-up.

    The other night we were watching Sardyst (based on the Neil Gaiman novel) and my hubby said "when your book gets made into a movie..." and I burst into tears. It meant so much to have someone else think my work was destined to be out in the world in any form. I got back to drafting the new project the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take the inspiration where you can get it Christine.

    I can relate about the kitchen reno... my took 6 months. What a nightmare. It sucks the life out of you. Especially since the kitchen is the heart of the home.

    Now for a little tough love. If you got good reviews on your baby #1 You need to STOP procrastinating and get with it!

    I I can write a novel in less than six weeks, edit in only a week, and enter it into THE hardest contest, ABNA you certainly can edit your baby #1 again.

    You found your inspiration in your movie, not get to work! I will be waiting to hear about it ....

    We've all been in slumps. now it's time to pull yourself out of it. You have all of us to cheer you on.

    If you want a happy dance come over to my blog and scroll down a bit. You'll find three critters willing to dance and cheer for you.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  10. Revision can be so frustrating! I love finding little inspirations in random movies or books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you found a pick-me-up. It all does seem futile sometimes. I have my periodic bouts of 'this sucks why am I bothering.' Something always comes along to shake me out of it. Usually I run through all the great moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's cool you got inspired with that movie. Revision is tough, but it is very important. I hope you have some mean (in a good way, as in tough) critique partners, to help you whip that baby into shape!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes you need a little something like a movie to help things. I hope your revisions (and kitchen) get done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this movie!

    I'm struggling with writing too...I suppose it's a combination of hectic life stuff. Best of luck to you getting back on the revision horse. ;)

    ReplyDelete