Monday, January 10, 2011

Do it in 9 steps.

One of my CPs emailed me this link about the 9 Step Method. It's interesting. It's plotting your novel in 9 steps. It supposed to help with revising as well. I'm actually trying it for WiP #3. So far I did step one, and I'm almost done step 2. It makes you really think things through, along with detailing your characters. I didn't outline WiP#1, I just wrote it. Now I'm re-writing it. So I thought for the next story, I would try it. It's seems to help, although my impatience itches like a mosquito bite.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out my method. I thought I was a total panster, because in my head I have most of the story worked out along with the characters, but I'm re-thinking that thought. I need to figure some things out before I write, mainly for sanity purposes, otherwise I'm trying to figure it all out as I write which is even more frustrating. This panster thing is fine to a point, due to the fact that most of the story is worked out in my head, but I guess, it's the little things that I would like to figure out before I go all keyboard typey crazy.

I'm also noticing that I can't write a story in succession (beginning to end). I'm having a hard time starting at chapter one and going straight through. Things (scenes really) are coming into my head at different sections of the story. The characters are only showing me bits and pieces (they're such a tease), leaving it up to me to figure it all out (god, they're so lazy or just stubborn like everyone else that lives in my house).

Have you tried this 9 step method?

Did it work for you?

If not, what methods do you use?

How was your weekend and what are your goals this week?

I hope to get a few more chapters revised in WiP#1, and finish step 3 in the 9 step method for WiP #3. I finally got my tabs up. I will be adding to them and adding more. So excited.

**News Flash** Check out this new blog. booKrushed. Run by the lovely Kimberly Franklin, Kristi Chestnutt and Kristin Rae. All about books. It's going to be awesome. Plus, they are running a wonderful contest. Yeah, I know you want to go there. Look how pretty their logo is.

Have a great day!

21 comments:

  1. Bookrushed started following me on Twittr yesterday. Taht's how I found out about them. Love their logo.

    I haven't tried the 9 steps, but my method as a snowflaker is very involved too. It involves me having an idea (one liner, maybe) after which I brainstorm for possible plot and character ideas. After that, I do a very detailed characterization of the key characters (which involves a lot of backstory) and finally the outline. Any new characters will then go through the characterization process, though maybe not as much as the initial characters. It depends on their role in the story. After the first draft is complete, I go back to develop the characterization information if there's any more new characters (I added three in my first draft so they need to be developed before I can begin revising).

    It's a lot more work initially than being a panster, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the links, and I'll try the 9 steps. Sounds interesting and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try and plug my story into all sorts of plotting tools like that. I also do it after I finish a first draft. I didn't find that one as helpful as others. But, they are all pretty similar and follow the 3 acts. I tried pantsing once and epically failed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have not tried this. I looked it over and i don't know if it would fit in with my current method.
    I typically use the snowflake method - well the first 5 steps or so. I've done it with the last 2 WIPs and it made a HUGE difference

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me , the jury is still out on plotting vs just writing it. For NaNoWriMo last year, I started writing my sci-fi novel, Dreaming of Sleep, with no plan. Then, one week in, I decided I needed a plan. I spent two days plotting it with brown paper and post-it notes.

    But whilst it stopped me from 'losing the plot' during NaNo, I personally think the writing I did before the plan is much better than that afterwards. Agh. I guess it is about finding the method that works best for each of us, rather than following someone elses?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems I have a new method every time I start... but this sounds interesting. perhaps I'll try it next time~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting program. I find that if I think about it too much you loose the spontaneity of the writing.

    I just go with the flow and see where it ends up. I usually have the end in my mind, but how I get there is always a fun and unpredictable ride.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of the 9 step program. I'm currently reading 20 Master Plots and how to build them by Ronald B. Tobias.

    Don't sweat it to much, you are your own unique person. Take what works for you and implement that.

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog book tour at Michaels. He forgot to tell everyone that I am giving away 3 e-books with a comment and email address. You can go to my blog or his if you'd like to do that.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, fantasy author

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the shout out Christine!!!

    As for methods, I've tried the snowflake before, but I have a hard time STICKING to one, you know?

    Having said that, I'm saving this one and will pull it out when needed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link - things like that are always interesting to me, I find taking a bit here, and a bit there helps. I am a total pantser. I keep some notes handy, but other than that I kind of just go for it. So far, it's worked for me. But each book is different, and you just never know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried any methods other than using an outline, and as a pantster, I usually just outline in my pants.

    As a writer Christine, you can try whatever you want to help you, but ulitmately it's up to you to just write. My characters fight with me all the time, I'm not a linear writer, and I appreciate all the information out there. But in the end, it's just me and the keyboard. We all have our different work ethics. There is no right or wrong way to write.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope, never tried it! Sounds interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi miss christine! i didnt ever have a method except just write. now cause of lots im been learning on blogs im thinking more and planning stuff more. i went at that blog and copied tht 9 steps for my stuff i save and i could read it later. we got now and slickery roads and there no school today. yippee! hooray for snow days! me and my brothers and my sister are gonna do some games and watch tv. my one brother is cooking up a big pot of chili. cause of that ice maybe tomorrows gonna be a snow day too. :)
    ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never tried anything other than an outline. Although I found the fifteen beats in Save the Cat - and realized I actually hit all of them in my latest work! Yeah, I'm stunned...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the shout out! You are so sweet! I've never tried this method before, but it does sound very interestin.g :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting-- I like this method! I'll have to give it a whirl. I love learning about new writing processes.

    And if you're interested, I'm having a What's Your Process blogfest next week, for people to talk about their writing process. It should be a good learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven’t tried the 9 Step method, but I just went over to check it out. It sounds like a good idea and since my current WIP is progressing slowly I may give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool method! I'll definitely see how it fits with the manuscript I'm revising. I really like how the boxes connect with the ones around them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anything that will help me get on track. That is, anything that can build a track for me would be better than the system I use now. My current system is basically to jump in an' start writing. When it isn't finished by evening I'm frustrated 'cause a whole new story is forming in my head. Thanks for this.

    ~ Yaya

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is really interesting! The more work you put into a story early on, the smoother it goes as you write, that's for sure! Thanks for this info. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm a total panster - it works for me. but i guess as writers the key is to find what works best for each of us and stick to it :)

    ReplyDelete