Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What sparks creativity?

After yesterday's post, I am assuming that most of you don't like the pretty boys.  Oh well, you know more about me now. I decided to do a another fun and not so serious post.  When I don't have much to say I usually wind up not talking or talking about random things. So here is a random post--I didn't have much to say today (believe it or not).

Quotes. I love quotes and many of you post so many inspirational ones. I not only love quotes from authors and poets but song lyrics --yes I said song lyrics.  As you may or may not know music is a huge part of my writing process.  There are some songs that make me see my characters so clearly I can almost feel what they  feel, and hear their voices--bascially see everything through their eyes (not sure if that is really weird or not).

I had a vision (as I call them and no I am not psychic) and chills when I heard this song a few months back.  I had to get the CD.  It is called "Letters from the Sky" by Civil Twilight.  I put the link there to their website but you just need to listen to the song. It may have been on a few teen dramas in the past but when I heard it and even when I listen to it now it gives me chills.

Why you ask?I can see a particular scene for my WIP play out so vividly, I am almost scared by it. I can even feel everything my Anna is going through.  I hope to write it out and put it on here so you can understand what I mean (I hope).  This song is also in my playlist on the right. I think my playlist is in shuffle mode so you may have to skip around.

If you have the time and are interested in my crazy thought process, you can listen to "Quiet in my Town" by Civil Twilight.  It is the first song in my playlist on the sidebar and read the first snippet I posted. Maybe you can see what I mean.

I am making you do so much work on this post but I hope it is still considered fun.

 Does music influence your writing? If not, what does?

What are you listening to right now? I am always looking for new music (and I usually listen to anything).

There will be no post tomorrow-- not that I don't want to.  I need to get a lot done like read my first draft cover to cover and finish a critique.  So don't forget about me.  I may do some commenting though and post something small on Friday.

I will end with one of my favorite song lyrics: 

"How I wish you could see the potential,the potential of you and me.
It's like a book elegantly bound but, in a language that you can't read. Just yet."
I will Possess your Heart by Death Cab for Cutie (yes, it is in the playlist too).

Have a fun day!

15 comments:

  1. I've spoiled lots of good music by listening to it while writing a certain story, and now whenever I hear that music again, I'm in that story again, and since the story is finished... - hard to explain. Sometimes I need voices for writing, sometimes it has to be *loud* music, sometimes it has to be classic music... and when nothing else helps, I can always listen to Queen and write at the same time. (Once I did a complete novel listening to Queen: "Killer Queen" over and over and over and... you get the idea. *g*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Christine for stopping by! I'm so happy you did. Music is very important to me when it comes to my writing. Great song suggestions!

    Good luck to you on this journey! I look forward to visiting often...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't listen to music with lyrics while I write, otherwise I'm listening to them or singing along. When I write I go with wordless classical music. Schubert--especially the string chamber music-- is my ultimate favorite. Recently I've been listening to piano concertos by Saint-Saens. I'll put the CD on and listen to it repeatedly for several days. It's harder for me to get tired of a classical work, than listening to a pop album over and over.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, you have some great songs on your playlist. That's the kind of music that I like. I'll have to check out some of those artists with whom I am not familiar.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diandra-Same with me. If a song inspires me then when I hear it at random I freeze and just think of the story to which it inspired.

    Chasing the Moon-Thanks for visiting and I will be over to your site to see your progress too :)

    Lee- Thanks for stopping by. I do like a alot of classical music. It can make a scene so powerful. I will listen to some of your suggestions.

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, one of my favorite topics!
    I listen to film scores if I'm having a hard time concentrating. My favorites are Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, Gladiator, Pan's Labyrinth, There Will Be Blood, and The Red Violin.

    For my lit fiction piece, I have an ongoing playlist that's about 130 songs long right now. :-) All I have to do is hear a Counting Crows song and I'm instantly in the mood to write on it.

    I really like the song "Undisclosed Desires" from Muse's new album. Such a great line: "I want to reconcile the violence in your heart. I want to recognize your beauty's not just a mask. I want to exorcise the demons from your past. I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart."

    Well, those are multiple lines, but you get the point. That whole song is kinda hot, if you know what I mean.

    But yeah. Music is huge for me. And I love your playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Music is a HUGE part of me as a writer. I get chills, too, when I find that perfect song. It's like...magic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely listen to music while writing. Most of it doesn't really impact my mood, it just serves to block out the TV and the kids. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Music plays a huge part in my writing process. Being a musician myself, it also influences my characters' behaviors and, oftentimes, career choice. (Ah, vicarious living!) I actually just recently had an experience where I heard THE PERFECT SONG for one of the scenes in my new novel. In short: love music, couldn't live without it, may as well provide soundtracks with my novels. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Death Cab For Cutie is a must! Especially that song... in my last book it literally explained what was happening between two characters because one of them was psychic. Talk about chills!

    I don't know what I would do without music. It's so influential in my writing. I listen Coldplay, Snow Patrol, and Regina Spektor no matter what I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, wait a minute! I like pretty boys. I really like them. I also enjoy listening to music while writing, but it has to be a certain kind or it distracts me. Thanks for sending your story chapters. I'll email you back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Christine! Just popping back to let you know I have something for you on my blog. Enjoy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG... I love this song. I'm so glad you posted it! I always write to music. Some of my favs are one republic, paramore, florence and the machine, etc. I could really list on forever and ever.

    Good luck with your break!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music TOTALLY inspires me writing. TO.TA.LEE.

    Uprising by Muse inspires my current WiP. On this project I listen to a lot of Depeche Mode and New Order.

    Enjoy writing and listening! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you guys for some music ideas and also sharing what you listen too. We have a lot in common (we listen to a lot of the same music).
    How fun!

    ReplyDelete