Monday, March 15, 2010

Baby steps.

Another week has gone by and I can't believe it's the middle of March.  This journey is funny-- all of the ups and downs, and even loops.  I have had trouble balancing everything as everyone does.  This weekend though I had some distractions.

I started to get more scenes to form in my head for another idea I had months ago. The characters showed themselves to me and began to call for my attention.  I know what they look like, their names, and where they first kiss. I was drawn to them wanting to know more and they waived their finger dragging me in.  I wrote down some ideas in my journal and a familiar voice started to yell.

"What about us?" The two voices called out.

"Oh right?" I looked at the Chapter 2 word doc. illuminated at the bottom of my screen. My current WiP characters were upset. I think they thought I was cheating on them.

 "I was just...I had some ideas for something after you--after you are all polished and sent off to the big city to have the experts pick you apart.  I have a new baby brewing and she needs a little food now and again.  I promise not to stray again." My desperate words fumbled out.

"Get to work.  Your CPs need to see this and that deadline you set is creeping up." Their anger grew as they stared at the newly born characters.  These guys were ready to fight the newbies to win back attention.

Not wanting the newbies to get hurt, I told them to go back to bed and I would wake them when I am ready.  Smiles grew on Ian and Anna's face because they want me to finish their story and they won.

I know this happens to all of us and Frankie from Frankie Writes wrote an hysterical post on it. She calls it SNIS-Sexy New Idea Syndrome.  It is so true.  Thanks for putting a diagnosis on this Frankie :)

Other distractions did creep up as they always do.  The kids are still getting better from their colds and my son is up to taking an hour nap.  My daughter just wants to talk non stop from 7 am -8 pm.  I am trying to savor the moments but hey mom needs a break to produce one solid thought. 

I have two deadlines which are tenative.
 1. I want to get this baby in good condition by August for a critique in October.
2. I want to clean up what I have not to a perfect polish but first draft polish to send to someone for a critique on my actual story and characters.

Are these do able? Maybe. I'm trying to at least stick to them.  We will see.  I can't get frustrated and I must take baby steps.  I am learning as I go so when that second baby gains my attention this process will move much faster.


Do you suffer from SNIS? How do you cope with it?

In other news, I did receive an award from Abby Annis.  Thanks Abby, I will do a whole post on this later in the week.
I was also tagged and I am so embarrassed because I forgot who did so whoever tagged me please let me know so I can give you proper credit. I will post on that later in the week too!

There was also a blogfest today that I did not know about-- so sad.  Maybe I will post something related to it later in the week as well.  :)

There are also some contests going on that I will post about tomorrow :)

Have a great day!

18 comments:

  1. SNIS I love it!!! It describes what happened to me with my current WIP, I had to stop and neglect all my others because this one needed my full attention. I can sadly say that I'm unsure if I am coping... I am ignoring the situation and still working on my new WIP, 34000 words later!!

    Love. Love. Love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at the moment, not even my SNI can tempt me to write. i think this is what they call "burn-out." but for once, i'm ok with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DO know what I'm talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you're going through. I have a new idea that's been nagging at me for weeks but the current WIP is still foremost in my mind. I know I can't do two at a time, but I think the new idea may actually be slowing me down on the first. Can be a bit frustrating. Good luck getting yours done so you can move on to that SNI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain. The same thing happens to me when I get a new idea--I get a serious case of the butterflies and the smiles. But, I always force myself just to write my story ideas down and continue on with me current WIP, which right now, is a huge WHIPPING! LOL.

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, my new ideas tend to stay tucked away until I'm less focused. Thankfully. But occasionally something will crop up, so I take some notes and return to my main goal for the moment. But I'm really tunnel-visioned like that. Although, I do get really frustrated sometimes because I just want to move on. Like now. I'm ready to return to a different manuscript I have ready to be edited. So it's frustrating. But trying to stay focused until I finish the editing of this one. *sigh

    I suppose that's the writer's lot. How awful it would be not to have anything else to work on and no new ideas. So, I'll take this frustration for now ;)

    Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya- although I've only really had one other idea for a new project. I wrote it down and tucked it away. I really haven't thought about it since. Now, I have tons of ideas on where I want Caleb and Violet's story to go...but, I need to finish this one first!

    Oh- my contest rules and winnings are up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far, my attention has been a tug-of-war match between a few characters from one story. The good news is I'm only concentrating on one WIP. The bad news is my SNIS would probably be diagnosed as ADD by a trained professional. (*sigh*)

    :D Great post!! Best of luck with both projects!!

    BTW - I LOVE LOVE your new blog background!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I don't really have a WIP right now, just two finished novels that I'm editing. But those novels need my full concentration, and my characters from my next novel keep begging me to get started. I told them to be patient and get in line, their friends were here first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Frankie's SNI Syndrome post! :-)

    And congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suffer from SNIS. And I don't do anything about it. I write on whatever I like at the moment. It's the moments when you don't have anything to write on that scare me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww SNIS:) Im kind of feeling the syndrome myself right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sexy New Idea Syndrome - I love it! Funny you write about this since I was just thinking about a new idea last week... and I still have a lot of work to do with my current novel. I usually tell the characters/ ideas to just brew away silently in my subconscious - to work themselves out. I love feeling that they're back there somewhere growing and getting stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it--SNIS! I have this often, but force myself to dive into my current WIP! I'm far too scattered already!!!!


    xoxo -- Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. SNS ~ I love that :)

    The way I deal is with an iron fist. I write down as detailed an outline as I can, which sort of turns out like a two-page synopsis.

    And then? I turn off the lights.

    I know. So cruel. But it works for me.

    Good luck! You can do this! (and yes, I think your goals are totally do-able!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I have it all the time. It is so distracting! Great Post! And I LOVE the new blog background!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SNIS is hilarious. Frankie is a total genius. And yes, we've ALL been there. Of course sometimes that sexy new idea actually turns into something pretty amazing. You've got to go with your gut!

    ReplyDelete
  18. reading all these comments, it's nice to know i'm not the only one who has more ideas than i know what to do with.

    ReplyDelete