Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why I'm not quitting.

Quitting is easy. It's not hard and an easy out. It's something that does cross my mind at certain moments, but I can never do it. Why? When you love something so much you can't give it up (Wouldn't give up on your child, right?) No matter how much it beats you down, makes you crazy, tests your patience and question friendships. I can't let it go. I have to do this no matter what. I will keep trying and pushing myself to the limit.

I have to dismiss certain feelings I may have that are ridiculously petty to move forward. Dwelling on anything sets you back. Trust me, I know. Been there earlier this year. If I would've just gotten over certain things, I would've been querying by now. Instead, I dwelled on it, letting it harbor inside me, pulling me down, and leaving me behind. Please don't dwell. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, swipe it from your memory because it will hold you prisoner.

I realized that only I can move myself forward, not sympathy or harsh feelings.  I have to because writing is a part of me. I love it. I've worked so hard to get to this point that quitting would be like removing a part me and letting the rest of me go numb. I feel alive when I write and I'm not going to stop. There will be a lot of rough times ahead, I know it, but writing anything, even a blog post, brightens all that turns dark.

I've also met too many people who are the best people on the planet. I've never felt more support.

How about you--what keeps you going?

This is a short one. I've got to get back to edits.

Have a great day!!

16 comments:

  1. Encouragement from fellow writers! We're so lucky to have met so many wonderful people in blogville, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jessica. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi miss christie! heres a line from that movie galaxy quest that your post got me thinking. "Never give up, never surrender!" for sure no matter what you just gotta keep writing cause you love it. having cool blogger friends it the most best encourager and support.
    ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Christine! I totally understand what you mean. It would be easier to quit, but where's the fun in that? Good luck and keep pushing yourself forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quitting is easy. We're writers, we never take the easy option ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep going because it is the only way to ever learn what was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm emo so of course I'll keep writing/torture myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right about meeting great people! Writers, and especially children's book writers, are the most supportive people in the world.

    Yay! Happy to hear you're not quitting! I agree with Lenny: never give up. I'm sure I would be published long before now if I HADN'T given up 20 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a sign above my desk that another writer, and for the life of me I can't remember who she is from the Blue Boards a couple of years ago, had above her desk. I let her know I sat down and made the same sign for me the minute I read it. When I get discouraged I glance up and it helps me keep going forward.

    "Someday I may give up. But today is not that day."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you siad it - only YOU can move yourself forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I needed this post today! Thank you. I feel the same way. I love it to much to quit and I know that quitting will get me know where. Besides... the easy things don't usually have the greatest rewards. It is after struggle that we can truly appreciate the triumph. Glad you are hanging in there! :) Thanks for the inspiration today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your transparency and tenacity. Keep moving forward, Christine....

    ReplyDelete
  13. So tempting to quit sometimes! But being an author has been my dream since I was eight. I'm just not ready to quit yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just did a post similar to this on my blog. It would be so very easy to quit, to buckle under the pressures of real life. But we, as writers, are a very determined people. And there is SO MUCH support built into this community. We're very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! If you never try (or keep trying), you'll never accomplish what you want. So glad you're persevering, especially if you love writing. :)

    ReplyDelete