Friday, August 26, 2011

Prepping for a hurricane--writers view

Yes, Hurricane Irene is coming to the Philly area (hitting New Jersey). That means we will have crazy winds, rain and flooding. I've been through hurricanes before so I'm making the necessary preparations.
Batteries, non-perishable food, water, filling up the gas tank in the car, etc. After all of this is done, I have to prep for my writer self. Here are a few things I may need to do.

1. Unfortunately, my laptop battery is on it's way to battery graveyard. I'm lucky if it stays charged for an hour. Maybe the hubs will think about a generator for it. It would benefit the family too. :)

2. Plenty of pencils, highlighters, pens to mark up the multiple printouts of all my WIPs.

3. Chocolate. I don't think I need to comment on this.

4. Lots of books in case I get writers block.

5. MP3 player is charged for musical inspiration and to block out the wind howling outside.

6. Flashlight--this is already in the survival kit, but pack an extra one for reading and writing purposes.

7. All manuscripts are backed up on an external drive and put into a fireproof box. You never know what can happen. Doesn't everyone do this?

8. Have CPs on call in case I need an emergency brainstorming session or some sort of support. I'm thinking through Morse code of flashlights. 

9. Does anyone have anything to add? 

Have a great weekend! Stay safe!

20 comments:

  1. I always back up my files! We're far enough inland we'll just see some rain and wind, but the Carolina coast will be ugly on Saturday. You stay safe up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. You sounds so calm and I'm panicking reading it all. OMG1 OMG_ how do you love through it all.
    South africans / Africans in general are so ill prepared we'd get wiped out if anything like that happened to us. touch wood that it hasn't and hopefully never does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have everything covered. Did you mention a bottle of great wine :)?

    To echo Alex, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. I didn't think about making sure the ipods were charged. We did buy water and extra flashlights. I'm really hoping it goes out to sea. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck riding it out. We're not getting it here.

    The only thing I would have to add is old milk jugs (or something) for water to flush the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to all of you facing this hurricane. And Anne Gallagher is soooo right. Have the flushing water ready to go! Learned that the hard way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A generator for the laptop! Brilliant. I'm ready for my weekend of writing in too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from the gulf coast around Houston, lived in the town that was right underneath Ike's eye.

    I'd say you're missing beer, a propane cooker for after the electricity goes out, and maybe a generator with at least ten or fifteen gallons of gas readily available. Might get a siphon, too, in case you need to get some gas from your car.

    Seriously, though, be safe, and keep tons and tons of bottled water. Fill up the bathtubs and sinks if you think the water supply is going to go out.


    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  9. EEEE--stay safe! In Ohio we'll only get residual wind and rain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, that pretty well covers my hurricane preparations, too. I'm glad you mentioned the backup, though. I should go do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've thought of just about everything. Always be prepared! Stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! Great minds think alike! I was planning to make sure my laptop was fully charged and transfer some WIPs to my Kindle for reading ('cause that Kindle charge lasts a week or more and it has its own light.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you and your family ride it out without too much difficulty and -like Isis says - don't forget the wine (oh, and the water too, I suppose!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every year I do a preliminary hurricane rations run at the first sign of activity out in the ocean! Never hurts to be prepared, since here in Houston we seem to get something every couple of years. I hope you and your family stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are definitely more prepared than I am. Like you, my laptop will make it about an hour without electricity, so I guess I'll be doing a lot of reading. My plan is to be productive, but chances are, I'll spend a lot of time staring at the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like you're pretty prepared!! Let's hope that Irene doesn't dole out as much as they are predicting. Just make sure, above all, that you've got plenty of chocolate and wine and you should be just fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just posting about this on my blog too! And I've said much the same thing about chocolate! Yep. Laptop's fully charged and so are our phones. Plenty of food and water, flashlights and a booklight with new batteries.

    Do you have one of those hand-crank radios for Emergency advisories? We bought one after the last big storm, when we were without power for three days.

    Hope you ride it out safely, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wine. And food for the pets. Can't forget about the pets. They need to be taken care of too!

    ReplyDelete