Thursday, August 11, 2011

Is optimism in your genes?

This is something I wonder. Are you born optimistic? I know depression can be genetic, at least I think so. I'm pretty sure it runs in my family. I naturally look at things in a negative light, and in my later years of high school, I was one depressed gal (I probably should've seeked counseling). I'm not proud of it. It really complicates a lot of things in my life and probably pushes people away from me. I wish I had that outlook of positive, positive, positive--naturally.

Whether it's genetic or not. I know optimism can be learned. I'm living proof. I have my moments (old habits die hard), plus if depression is genetic, I'm fighting against my minds natural tendency. But I'm learning it. When I started this journey, it was the first time I truly in my heart believed in myself and never felt better. Of course, this isn't an easy business. Your ego gets boosted and crushed at a fully dramatic level, but I know in my heart that I can't stop. I have to accept certain things and understand the level I'm at. I must understand that others will get ahead, and one day I may get there. As long as I practice the way of optimism, I know I will.

Are you naturally optimistic? Are you practicing optimism?

This is one of my pump me up songs and today I'm crankin' it. I need it.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MrLJeAL4Ywo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


I may not post tomorrow so have a great weekend!!

12 comments:

  1. Not at all. And my writing thrives on the depression I feel at times. But, I'd love to learn how to turn that around when it's more than I can handle. Funny, today I wrote about depression too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'm naturally optimistic, but I'm definitely practicing. Or at least I do my best. I was a depressed teenager, too. But I think that might as much hormonal as genetic, yes?

    Hang in there and crank that yeah, yeah~ :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post really hits home for me today, because I've been struggling with optimism in this writing biz this week especially. Now that I'm more than halfway done with the first draft of my WIP, I'm already getting nervous about rejections... and I'm not even finished writing! I know in my heart too that I'm not going to stop. Great reminder to practice optimism!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blood is O negative, so I don't think optimism is in my genes. LOL!
    Yes, I think I'm optimistic. But I'm also realistic. You won't find me hanging out with Pollyanna. I think I'd strangle her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not naturally optimistic, although I had a really good childhood. Fortunately my wife just oozes positive vibes, and it eventually rubbed off on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not optimistic. In general, I think that being so just sets you up for a lot of letdown in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm a closet optimist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I was a terribly depressed teen and even twenty-something. I actually did go through a brief period of counseling, which was just talking to someone who listened sympathetically. I don't know whether it was genetic or hormonal.

    Since I married and had kids (thus learning to think of other people more than myself) I've been an optimist through and through. It's what keeps me going despite numerous rejections!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom is a determined optimist, and she taught me how to look at the world in a more positive light. I try my best to follow her example, but I don't know if it's genetic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try to always find the silver lining. No point dwelling on the negative stuff, however, sometimes I get into a depression-like rut and have to find a way to pick myself up and start over. I've noticed that writing more than anything else can send me soaring to new heights or leave me lying listlessly in bed for days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started this weekend with a smile and am optimist it will stay on my face...:)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...I'm a hopeful optimist, but have to work at it ;)

    A heavy dose of reality can at times, stymie my attempts...and it all depends on whether or not the kids behave!

    EL

    ReplyDelete