Monday, November 1, 2010

Diet

Welcome to my new blogger buddies. I will be visiting you soon.

Check out Lydia and Laura's blogs. Lydia (medical mondays) and Laura's (mental health mondays). They are discussing my research topic from last week.


Well, Halloween is over and I'm still full of sugar. It's pumping through my veins at a high rate of speed. This is when I think--I need to go on a diet. This thought is utterly insane because I still have bags of candy, (chocolate doesn't count because it's always in my house) cookies, and cupcakes. I still will torture myself with this thought till the New Year. I mean really, diet, now. Ha. I will be eating loads of turkey and mashed potatoes next month and then more cakes and cookies in December so who am I kidding.

So I decided to make my WiP go on a diet. It needs it. I still have a little too much telling and well it takes a little time to get to the action. How do I do it? It's not easy. WiP #1 loves to eat so I need to be careful or my MCs may not speak to me. They like to talk and if I don't do what they want, they get cranky. I love every scene I put them in, but to make their story fit into that tiny, attention grabbing, black dress,  I need to take some things out. I'm not talking adjectives and adverbs. I'm talking whole chapters. Kill your darlings comes to mind. I have a lot to explain (remember it's a paranormal, scifi romance) so I have to do it in a smaller pants size.

I've started to look at each chapter and ask--Does this move the story along? How does it relate to the story? Is it important? Can I do it differently- ie. dialogue, show more?

It's starting to help which is great, but I was curious how you trim your baby.

Do you have any other methods to get rid of excess baggage in your WiP?

How do you know what to keep? Gut feeling?

I'm trying to get through one revision without dwelling on certain areas. This is hard for me, but I need to get through it to really make it a decent draft.

I hope everyone had a great Halloween/weekend and good luck NaNoWriMo paticipants.

16 comments:

  1. Love the analogy of putting your WIP on a diet. I guess what I eventually do, is look at each scene and ask a few questions. Necessary or not? Moving plot forward or not? Developing or not? All description necessary or not? If I hear myself saying 'not' to any, I nix it. Hard, but it must be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy! I do pretty much the same thing. It's tough when its a scene I love, but sometimes it has to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Great analogy! Instead of killing your darlings, I like to refer revision, deleting scenes as ridding the accessories that just do nothing for the dress. And keeping on only those gems that bring out the detail of the entire outfit. I'm sure your MS will be a head turner after your done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diets are so hard! If I have trouble cutting the fat out of my MS, I copy and paste the offending section in a new word document. Then I trim and hack to my heart's content and repaste the revised version back into the original. It's less painful that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had a great weekend and i love your diet analogy! It's really on the mark with writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG- I was going to do a similar post today, but decided to save it for alter this week! This is my thing (which you'll read later): I hate the word diet...even for my WIP. I use the word "edit," which is diet just rearranged. I'd rather "edit" my life/my WIP- it's more positive for me (I think because I always, ALWAYS fail at diets!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea! I definitely need to make my WiP go on a diet--there are some scenes that just don't need to be there, no matter how much I love them. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I told hubs this morning that I was starting a diet. Useless plan, right? So much chocolate downstairs... Well, snaps to me for not eating any yet today!

    Good luck with your MS diet. I'm still packing on the pounds of the first draft. Maybe by New Years, we'll both be ready for a serious diet!

    Happy November!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea! WIP on diet now, me on diet..... well maybe sometime in 2011. LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So far, I haven't put in any chapter or scene that isn't relevant to the plot either in this book or the overarching plot as a whole. It gets hard though because I do have a lot of world-building Imean, I did after all, create this world.

    I probably do need to cut but... well, I'll wait for someone else to tell me my MS is too fat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am aiming to finish my first draft this week...so I haven't really given my WIP any diet yet, LOL. I have not taken out any chapter. I am looking at adding some more chapters when I do the 2nd draft so...no diet!!! Nice post and great analogy, Christine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to cut a lot of scenes out of the book I'm now quering. Due to feedback from a beta reader, I made a major change in the plot. Those scenes were no longer moving the story along. It wasn't hard to do though. Not like giving up chocolate or diet coke. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christine you're always so creative!!!

    My current WiP is on a diet, and a lot of it starts with thought, allowing myself to work out all the details after it's written.

    BTW - The Traveler's is ACTUALLY and FINALLY in revisions... I'm nervous and excited.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post :) The way I trim? Pretty much the same as you. Does this word, sentence, paragraph, page, chapter move my plot along, or hold it back?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It always hurts when I cut something from a story, but even if it's good, extraneous stuff must go. I wish I was as committed to eliminating unhealthy food from my diet. Now there's a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's funny, every time I find a tip or article on a bad writing habit, I go through my latest WIP and search for that exact problem...clean it up as I go! But you know, it's never a one-time process...it's neverending!

    Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete