Monday, November 22, 2010

Candor by Pam Bachorz

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Today I'm reviewing Candor by Pam Bachorz. I won this lovely book from that super talented/fabulous author, Elana Johnson. You may have heard of her. (BTW-her book, Possession, is to be released June 7, 2011. If you are smart you will go and get it.) I knew nothing about this book, but I'm so glad I've been introduced to it.

Title: Candor
Author: Pam Bachorz
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pages: 250


Blurb:
Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he's found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He's got them all fooled: Oscar's the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he's made his own Messages to deprogram his brain. Oscar has even found a way to get rich. For a hefty price, he helps new kids escape Candor, Florida before they're transformed into cookie-cutter teens. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor, and Oscar's carefully-controlled world crumbles.


My Review:
Where do I begin? First, the cover. It fits the whole story and if Oscar Banks looks like that--Heellloo. I loved the pace of this book. It was quick which for me is good (mainly because I like a lot of things that are fast--cars, shortcuts, movies, etc.). I wanted to keep turning the pages, wanting to know more and more. The sentence structure was interesting, too. Short and to the point= perfect. It didn't lack in visual description. I could totally visualize everything even though the sentences were lacking length (excess adverbs and adjectives--it can be done.) There was a little telling which didn't slow it down at all.

The story itself was fantastic. A 'what if'scenario that could possibly happen (you never know.) Written from a male POV (done brilliantly) and first person perspective (always a plus in my book, because that is what I like to write).This story will keep you guessing and wanting to just read on (really, I couldn't put it down). Also, the end will leave you speechless (I hope she comes out with a sequel. I'm just sayin'--yes that's a hint, hint). The YA stuff isn't in your face either. It's not typical YA (at least in my mind, you may have a different opinion).If you are looking for a great, fast, entertaining book, look no further (guys, you might like it too). 

So a must read. Go and take a peek (I'm not responsible if my little messages are considered brainwashing, totally not my intention. He he). :)

Pam Bachorz has another book, Drought, to be released on January 25, 2011. I will be checking it out.

How was your weekend?

Have a great day and don't forget Wednesday, November 24th, Writing the Next Line.  
 

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting book--brainwashing doesn't show up in YA much. Thanks for the review! I'll put this one on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I've seen it around. Guess I'll have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book.I've been toying as to whether to add it to my list. I might just do that now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review - sounds interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about this one before, thanks for adding your opinion Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi miss christine! that was a neat review. im thinking im gonna add that book to my tell my brothers and sister list. im thinking its maybe to old for me. i like that brainwash stuff. :)
    ...hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine, I don't know if you can see what I can see on the cover - aren't those Brad Pitt's eyes? Oh maybe it's just me, LOL. I used to be crazy about Brad Pitt...until he chose Angelina over, errrr I mean Jennifer. :)

    Thanks for sharing the gist of the book...sounds interesting!

    Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the cover, and the book sounds interesting - thanks for the review!

    Weekend was nice and relaxing. Hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard much about this one, so I really appreciate your review. Thanks, Christine! :-)

    ReplyDelete