Monday, July 26, 2010

Do you take the risk?

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

First check out Jayne's contest. She sent her query out so now she can feed her cat. Ends August 8th.

Oh sweet progress-- why do you take your time? As you all know I'm a slow writer. I've discovered this over the past few weeks. There's nothing wrong with it-- I just have to deal with my impatience biting at my skull. I'm now trying to make the beginning of my WiP more concrete. I'm trying to stick to one thing but my mind gives my fingers way too many options to type. I know I told you I was going to put chapter 1 away for a while and come back  to it when I'm done the revisions but I keep coming back to it.

I have come up with two ways to write this. One way is safe in my mind--maybe typical but it's happier,comfortable. The other is a little darker, a little more, well, possibly controversial. I love the second one and think I may stick to it. The only problem is my pessimist side keeps poking me on the shoulder and whispering.

"This beginning may not help on your journey to getting this published. Heck an agent may not even look at it. It's too risky."

"But I like it. It sets it apart. Sure it may require more re-writes but why not try." My optimist side tries hard to push pessimist out of the way. "It is your story to tell it doesn't matter if it gets published--it is from your heart."

"Your writing is not that great, you can't pull this off. You will only get rejections." Pessy snarled.

"So what? Many authors get rejections. If it doesn't work, you can try again and go to the safe option."Opti folded her arms sticking up her nose.

"You'll never make it." Pessy yelled.

"Don't know till you try." Opti stuck her tongue out at Pessy.

"Mugjnweoir." Pessy angerily mumbles as he disappears from my shoulder.

So now you may think I'm nuts because my spilt personality is fighting with itself and I'm writing about it.
This is my dilemma. To take the risk or not. My gut is pulling me heavy in the direction of risk making it hard to ignore.

How do get over your pessy side while trying to follow your gut?

Do you write what you love ignoring the safe option and risk it?

Any good things happen this weekend?

Any goals for the week?

Have a great day!

16 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm a risk taker by nature!

    Flutter on the gee gees, riding horses at breakneck speed, fast cars, fast men. ;)

    And, best of all, I love risque scenes in novels - pushing boundaries of acceptability (probably part reason for no response from HM&B for five months), but what the hell I love writing. If I can't break back into publishing it's not the end of the world.

    The sun came out after a week of rain/drizzle, so I guess that made the weekend worthwhile. I don't work so every day is a holiday!

    Goal for the week: write two chaps of new novel.

    As for your risque beginning go for it: if you feel it doesn't do the bizz you can go back to plan A. :)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for taking a leap of faith! I'm intrigued to know what the beginning looks like, but I know soon enough you'll let me in on your genius and evil plan against your pestimistic side!

    Sometimes a good run, a good glass of wine or just talking to the hubs is all I need to push myself forward more and focus on taking a leap of faith and hoping it's the right one!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh go for the dark side. I finally did. I wrote a scene that's Genna's worst nightmare come true and boy howdy did it make a big difference. You've got to PUSH your characters into places sometimes you would never think to go. So I say, yay, go dark baby. Keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you tell that Pessy to just SHUT UP!! Jeez, she's really annoying me. I think she might be friends with my own little Pessy too :)

    I think you should write the one that is burning inside of you waiting to be told, and stick with that one. I think you know which one I'm talking about ;) It may be dark, but it is sooooooo good. And I think the best stories are the ones that show the defeat of a really powerful darkness. So yeah, I say risk it :) YOU can do this you awesome woman.

    And, yes your writing is THAT great. i mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's more likely the safe option will get ignored for being too predictable than the risky option will get ignored for being too dark. Agents and editors see so much of the same old-same old - give 'em something new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say definitely take a risk. If you don't love what you're writing, I feel like that tends to show, so push your writing to where you want it to be. I actually need to take that advice myself :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure. I like reading risky, less predictable. But that depends on the book. Ouch! It really is subjective. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take the risk!
    And I had a good weekend with friends. They're visiting through tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've missed your blog lately for some reason, either you're on a break or I'm on a break! Risk taking is essential in writing anyway you look at it. And we can always go back and change it if it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say try both ways and bounce them off some other writer people you trust.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Risk taking makes everything more exciting, in life as well as in writing, it doesn't always turn out the way we want but it makes for good lessons learned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you for taking a risk!

    Hm, plans for the week. I really want to get hte bulk of my revisions done. I feel like they've been dragging on for waaaay too long now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don’t think you’re weird for having conversations with your split personalities because then I’d have to think I’m weird for the same reason. It’s funny now that I think about it - the protagonist in my first book carries on this trait.

    I also think agents and publishers get plenty of the typical so they are looking more for something a bit different from the masses, but in the end you simply have to go with the version that feels like it’s the best option for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't worry, even though we may not admit it, we all talk to ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Writing what you love is the only way to be happy with it. I had my lesson - wrote something somebody asked from me, didn't like it, never saw anything from it. Will never do this again. Next time I receive no reward for something I write, at least it will be for something I enjoyed writing. (^v^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely write what I love and ignore what's "safe". Most of my stories don't really seem to have a place within the market, and I'm okay with that. My priority is to enjoy what I do; then I worry about if it's ever going to gain readership.

    ReplyDelete