Thursday, June 23, 2011

End it.

Ending a chapter isn't easy. I mean, you want the reader to read on, right? What's the best way to end it and how do you know when? I was reading a WD article on 3 Ways to end a chapter and found it interesting.

I tend to write a chapter with an ending in mind. Now, this may not be a normal way of doing things, especially while writing the first draft, but my mind is not the most normal. I've been told to write the first draft straight without worrying about breaks in chapters, which is hard for me. On this last project, I did a mixture of both. I think some folks do chapter breaks as part of their outline some say, no, concentrate on the structure. I think that's all up to what you feel is right for you.

Regardless of your method, ending a chapter the right way is a must. Like I said, you want the reader to continue.

One way: End it when the story requires a shift. A change of time, place, scene, weather, points of view all can end a chapter nicely, leaving you wanting to know what will happen next.
For example-- Rachel grabs her bag stuffed full of all her possessions. "Let's go," she says. We run to the car and drive down the street heading to nowhere. Okay, maybe not the best example.

Another way: End it in the middle of action. This is my favorite kind of chapter ending. It's like the dum dum dummmm. Leaving me wanting more and more.A good fight, chase scene, kissing scene, really killer dialogue, you get the idea.
For example-- The door swings open, Joe throws a fist at Tim, and blood splatters from his nose.   Yeah. I'll turn the page wanting to know how that ended and why. 
Another example that's even better-- I just finished reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (don't say a word, I'm behind, and yes, so awesome). One of her chapters ended like this, "Without hesistation, I shoot her through the heart." Okay, who doesn't want to read on?

What's your favorite way of ending a chapter?

Any other tidbits you would like to share?

Have a great weekend! I will reveal the winner of the Lipstick Laws contest on Monday.