Thursday, June 2, 2011

Characters go crazy

I'm almost finished my first draft of my second WiP. I have to say this one has been a little challenging and I'm sure revisions will be the biggest challenge of them all. I'm having trouble understanding where on earth this story is going. I do have a loose outline, but as of right now these characters must be drunk, because its so far from what I expected.

Since I write out of order, I keep plopping all around the story. It's strange, but feels right for me. The only problem is it takes forever. Plus, I have a huge fear of how crappy it will be when I'm done (another reason why I think I'm having a hard time). I love my beginning and end, and maybe some middle parts, but I'm not liking where I'm at. How do you continue?

I've been told to write straight through don't stop. It will be horrible and crappy, but that's what revisions are for. I just don't want my revisions to take another year.

This story has flown by, but I'm worried it's just words I'm going to cut, to re-write, re-write, re-write in the end. I've done that to my first one and that took 2 years to get it to where it is now and I still need to revise it.

Argh. I need some advice. I not a hardcore plotter. I know that because things change so much when I write.

I want to finish this since I'm at 40K (hoping to have 50-60K by the end), but need to keep my focus on it. I also have been wanting to just take a break and go back to revise my first on. I've been told no, keep going, finish, then go back.

Help. Any focus advice?

Have a great day!