Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group


Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for hosting this group. Please go visit the other blogs that participate.

I don't have much today. I have a brain freeze. Really, it's like a blizzard in Antarctica in my head. I'm trying to work on something new, but my perfectionist side thinks back on how I can tweak the MS I'm querying to make it better. I need to get away or something. I'm trying to read a lot, watch movies, but none of it's working. I think I need to shut off from the world kind of thing, but I can't. Maybe I should go see The Hunger Games again.

I'm one big walking swirl of weird emotions. From feeling like I-can-do-this to I'm-not-even-close (which you probably think is what happens to me all the time). It's something that will pass, I know. I'm just trying to get it to pass. My new characters come at the most inconvenient times so I have to push them aside to continue with life.

I'm going to reread this-- Mindset: The New Psychology to Success by Carol Dweck. It usually helps when I get stuck in a brain snowstorm.

Let's hear from you: What is your week like?

Next week: I will be posting about how to keep organized while querying. Stay tuned.

Have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. I used to be like that when I queried. Always going back to tweak my ms. Now I don't--unless I receive agent feedback that suggests that I do need to reexamine things.

    Now I find it easy to get absorbed in another project. But that's because I have projects to get excited about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. read my IWSG post today. an idea that might help your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe part of the reason your old manuscript won't let you work on the WIP is because revising and editing is so much easier than banging out new words. At least, for me it is!

    Since sending CG back to my editor, I've been tweaking/editing two completed manuscripts that are waiting to be submitted. Finally, on Tuesday, I sent both revisions to my agent and committed myself to beginning that New Project I've been thinking about. An hour later, I wanted my old manuscripts back!! UGH! FIRST DRAFTS ARE SO HARD!

    Good luck to you. I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to go let the perfectionist in you do something that can be done perfectly and give it some satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I started submitting my book, I started on a new one so now all my thoughts and tweaks go into that instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My manuscript is currently in the hands of it's first critiquers and betas...so yeah...I'm trying to distract myself and not FREAK out. That's my week.

    So, yeah, totally insecure!!!

    I think you're on to something...maybe I just need to watch the Hunger Games again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I know what you mean-- just handed in some edits to my agent and thought about something I should have/would have/ could have tweeked better. IT NEVER ENDS, does it?

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww Christine, it sounds like your brain is going at a million miles an hour. Never fun!

    ReplyDelete