Monday, March 28, 2011

Really, it's Monday

A little Monday inspiration

Thanks for all of your comments on Friday. Finding the right tense can be challenging, but I think I figured out my own way of doing it. I actually have two beginnings to my WiP. One favors past tense and the other favors present tense. I know, I'm crazy. I'm probably doing a lot more work than needed, but I think it's necessary for me so I can see which one fits and what feels comfortable.

I did do more research over the weekend to strengthen my writing. I was directed to some great links along with just stumbling across some. Yeah, my weekends are usually family oriented, but weekend nights. . . once you have kids, (mine are still small) things tend to change, and you find yourself with a beer and a laptop. I did manage to hit 10,000 words in the past tense version (of new WiP) and I need to do more brainstorming, which will come. I'm not sure how you work, but I'm finding that I write in spurts. The story and the characters show themselves to me in vivid fashion. Then the brain dries up for a few days, almost like a scary tease that nothing will come again. I shut the computer down, quit looking at the blank screen and it comes.

I thought I would share the links I've found.

Grammar Girl-The current post is on mixing verb tenses. I've used this one before.

Les Edgerton- An interesting post on adverbs and adjectives in writing. His posts never disappoint.

Nail Your Novel- Inspiring post on writing.

Rules to Write By--Thanks to Las Vegas Writer (Natascha) for directing me to her website. She had to design a grammar website for a class she took. Great job Natascha! This was very helpful.

I'm trying to set myself some goals, which I'm cringing at. I know in the world of having an agent, (hopefully, one day) I will need to work with deadlines so I'm trying to give myself some just to keep things moving. I'm hoping by May to have this first draft done. That's a tall order and a lot of pressure, but I hope to keep it moving. That way it can sit and brew (I still have beer on the brain) before revisions, and I can go back to WiP #1's revisions.

So how was your weekend?

Any goals for the week?

Oh and has anyone seen Red Riding Hood? I know looks a little cheesy, but Shiloh Fernandez and Max Irons. I say no more.

Hey, don't judge. Have a great day!

23 comments:

  1. This is great Christine! I love the links! They'll be very helpful for me!!!! I need something to just write with my heart again!!!

    I saw Red Riding Hood this weekend and I really enjoyed it!!! I was surprised at how much I liked it. I will say that I was shocked to know who the werewolve ended up being!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it but the imagery looks so good, I want to watch it. I've started two different versions of a novel, sometimes in different povs to figure out which one works. Hope you figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My weekend was good, I read a book, wrote my third highest daily word count since beginning the WIP and had a good time with friends. Goals for this week? Read two books, make notes on a third, keep up the daily writing.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post. I appreciate the links. I'm sure it will help me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deadlines are good to use. I never hit the mark, but I'm usually only a few weeks off. It's not so bad.

    Yeah, Les's article was great. I'll have to check out the others.

    I left something for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the links, I'll have to check them out. Enjoy the process-when it comes! All said and done, you seem to be doing okay. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the links. My hubby wants to me to watch that movie with him...I was hesitant, but maybe I'll give in :)

    Good job on 10,000 words! That's awesome. You can totally finish your novel by May. It might be hard but giving yourself a deadline is a great idea. Even if you don't get completely done by then, it's a great goal to work toward.

    My goal is to finish my current WIP by the end of March. Uh, that's in 3 days! It's okay, I only have a couple more chapters to write. Actually, one and a half. I'm SO excited. Then back to revisions on my other WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the links! Let's decide on a date tonight to go see that movie...

    My goal: is to try and nail down once and for all the middle of this story--get the myth right. I may just have to tell you what I'm thinking afterall because I'm not doing so good brainstorming by myself right now. I need to play "What if" with someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goals and deciding on the right tense for your story! I appreciate the great links.

    My goal is to finish my first round of revisions by April 15th.

    Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have YOU seen Red Riding Hood? I totally want to go, but I can't seem to find anyone in my immediate vicinity who wants to make the trek with me. So I'm trying to figure whether it is worth the "look at the loser who has to go to the movies alone" stigma to see it.

    I'm trying to set goals for myself . . . but more because, if I don't, I'll try to get things done TOO fast and be sorely disappointed when I don't achieve it fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the mention, Christine! I'm glad it helped. I know I keep going back to it when I get confused all over again and it's only been a few months since I took the class. Congrats on 10,000 words.

    My current goal for the week is to send out my queries for the current suspense and make it to chapter 4 in revisions on the followup. We'll see if I actually get that far :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great links! I think self-imposed deadlines are actually very good for you. It's important to be self-disciplined if you're a writer. For instance, I should get off the blogosphere and do my work..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great links, Christine. Tense is really hard, and it's always a struggle to find the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome links! Thanks for sharing! Had a problem with deciding on tense a while back myself. But in the end I left it alone because I knew I had picked that one for a reason in the beginning. I hope you get yours worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanna see Red Riding Hood!

    My goals include painting my house, LOL!

    I just finished edits on my ya dystopian...might get back to the middle grade at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the links!

    My goal is to get around 5k words down. I'm so close to the end of my rewrite that I can cry.

    :-)

    Just dropped by to say that you have an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you. i think i'm going to grab the picture and post it on my laptop desktop as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great links! Thanks Christine. And, I'm keen to see Red Riding Hood! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I may have to frame that quote--I love it! Good luck with all of your writing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 10,000 words! Congrats:)

    I use deadlines often. Keeps the fires ablaze...the inspiration piqued!

    Have a great week, Christine.

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  21. My weekend was spent pre writing posts for the A to Z Challenge. This will give me time to visit a lot of blogs and I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of new people out there in Blogdom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. crazy-busy weekend traveling to see family, and I'm hoping this week to get caught up on work!

    I want to see RRH, too!!! No judging here. I think it looks beautiful~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's not too much work if it helps you. It just shows how dedicated you are and that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete