Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The creative ones.

People who are not naturally creative don't understand those that are. What do I mean? We who are in the creative fields need to be . . . creative. If we're not, it's like we're dying. Okay, that's extreme, but it's like we are walking around looking for something to fill this piece of us.

Creativity is a part of you that can never leave like breathing. It's funny cause some people don't get how we have to do something creative to function even if we doodle a funny little guy in the corner of our journal. Creativity is embedded deep in our being and if we don't fulfill it, we can feel sad, or just empty.

Getting someone to understand this is not easy, and yes, they may think that you're crazy, but turn to those who understand and they will encourage and support you to no end.

I've been thinking about this whole creative business a lot lately. From people in my own family to friends and then to those who don't get it. I'm lucky to be surrounded by so many creative people who do understand. It keeps my juices flowing and helps me understand that it's not just something I can turn off, it's something I need to use.

Thoughts?

BTW--This is what I'm listening to while writing today. Awesome!! Silversun Pickups--Skin Graph Have a great day!

9 comments:

  1. I completely agree. The need to create or be creative is part of what makes us who we are, like an athlete's love for a sport or a mathematician's love for numbers. Not exercises what makes us tick, bogs us down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those in our world who love us but aren't invested in creating don't really know how to support us. It's up to us to gently teach them. I wrote a guest post on this Monday that might be helpful: "Six ways to support writers" (http://connectingstories.blogspot.com/2012/10/importance-of-community-by-laurel-garver.html).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is not creative at all. Fortunately, my husband is still very supportive even if he doesn't get it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there's levels of creativity too. I tend to be creative within my niche. Others are so out of the box, it's hard to compare or compete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why this community is so great - we cheer one another on.
    And creative people tend to be creative in many areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Christine. I've recently tried to explain this to my husband, who just doesn't get it. He doesn't think I'm "working" when I'm writing. So of course I had to tell him that writing is damn hard work! And it takes time, and patience, and yes, some daydreaming.

    Victor Hugo said: "A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and an invisible labor."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so grateful to the online community of creative thinkers. Without them, I wouldn't know it was normal to think of your characters as your best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely agree! I write, I draw and I used to make jewelry, but my hands don't allow for that anymore. But writing and drawing, it's like eating and breathing. I need it to sustain my sanity. I totally get this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I find my creativity finding other outlets besides writing-- like cooking, or decorating or gardening. Usually these outlets end up making me more creative than less, and wanting to write even more.

    ReplyDelete