Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Love this time of year

It's fall and I love it. I don't love the damp rain we are having right now, but I might over look that. It's a great time to get your brain working too. What do I mean? Look outside. Have the colors changed? (This doesn't apply to all locations, but you can do the same thing.) So, this is my writing exercise. As you know, I love trying to come  up with ways to describe things. Look outside again. Describe what you see. It could look like this. . .
 
Come up with as many words as you can to describe it.
 
Here's another one. . .
 
Is your brain starting to get warm?
 
Now, once you have a bunch of words, take it a step further. What do I mean? Let your mind go and starting asking 'what if' questions to develop a short story about each. You'd be surprised how far this could go. It's a great way to get your brain moving and thinking a different way. It's also a great way to get out of a rut.
 
Do you have any exercises to share?
 
Have a great day!!
 

5 comments:

  1. Hey! "What if" questions ARE a great way to get the juices flowing. I'm a third of the way into my WIP and that question is the one thing that keeps me typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun exercise! I'll definitely do this if I get stuck drafting this week. Thanks, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if the pumpkins exploded? (Yes, my mind works in strange ways.)
    We are just starting to see color here in the trees. Besides green, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are headed to the Poconos this weekend. I hope we're not too late to miss the colors, because it IS spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 'what if' question is a great way to save you when you get suck. Now if only it wasn't so annoying when my kids keep asking them.

    ReplyDelete