Monday, April 15, 2013

Go deeper

I enjoy writing from first person. I don't know why, it's one of those natural things.  I guess, I like becoming the character--getting inside their head and living through them just for a moment is amazing. Writing from this POV isn't the easiest. I'm not saying other POVs are not. Trust me, I don't feel comfortable writing in 3rd and I'm not sure if I could. Not that I wouldn't try, it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Let's face it, writing a novel is like swimming in the sea. Everything can seem overwhelming and scary. We may not know what direction to go when we are on the surface. The story is there, rippling and sparkling in the sunlight, but something is needed. Something that needs to take the reader to another level. When writing any character, I have to take a step back and look at the overall picture. That's when I usually ask myself, "Can I go deeper?" Think about it. If you're in a wide mass of water, you want to know what's beneath, right? Okay, maybe not, the whole JAWS thing, but if you did you'd know what you're dealing with and how to get out. You learn more and it brings your knowledge of the sea to another level.

What? What do you mean? You ask. Can I go deeper into this character's mind? Do I need to pull out more emotion from this character? Would the character react the way I have them react? What is in their head and what are they thinking?

Creating some, if not all of this, will suck the reader in, making them feel, making them care, and really want to know more. Because they'll be invested emotionally. It'll let your character have a stronger voice and make them real. Okay, you know what I mean, not real . . .real. Just real. It's Monday, so give me a break, my brain doesn't function too well in the morning.

My point: As you travel through your revisions, step back, then step into your character's head. Be them. Yes, step inside their skin. Think if you can go deeper into their mind than you have. Ask yourself questions that can take you there. Put yourself in your character's shoes and try to think they way they do. You'll create a character that will allow the reader to be them instead of a character that's just telling the story.

So, do you get into your character's head?

Does anyone want to add their methods or have any craft books they would like to add?

What are your favorite book that you felt emotionally attached to the character?

I bet you wanna go for a swim now, right? Yeah, I have beach on the brain.

Have a great day!