Monday, September 26, 2011

Hoping I'm not that person.

Yep, my town, so awesome.

Philly lit night was awesome. Thanks to Frankie and Simon for another successful night. I'm not going to go into some of the discussions. Let's just say we laughed a lot and Simon has a great talent for speaking with multiple accents. Oh and now you know West Chester rocks. :) Also, the amazing Amy Garvey joined us. Her book COLD KISS was just released and is on my TBR list.
Awesome cover too.

So as I sat there with these amazing folks, I thought about querying. I know, weird. I thought for a second about the odds of landing an agent, and how out of all the people there, would I be the one who never gets one. I actually sat there thinking, holy crap, I may be the one. I may be that person who sits there waiting for that one day while everyone else gets it (they all deserve it) and some of them already have agents and book deals (again, well deserved). I might be the one who is only good enough to write daily blog posts and be a super cheerleader (I would do this no matter what, that's just me), but I think you get what I mean.

Now, I'm not getting all --the glass is half empty crap. In fact, the opposite. Yes, this thought pops into my head. It's natural. I get that feeling sometimes, but who doesn't. I'm not going to let it push me backwards. I have too much drive to stop. Of course, being in the company of such wonderful, supportive people helps. A lot. I'm, as you know, a natural born pessimist, but by the end of the night I almost saw the glass full (thanks Kate, most positive person ever, love that. I totally need your voice on a recorder for playback).

I have to follow what is meant for me. What feels right. If it takes me 10 years longer than everyone else then so be it. Okay, it would stink, but I would get there.

My point: Focus on you. Use your drive to get to where you want to be. Sure there will be doubts, it's totally natural, but don't slide down to the pessimist pool. It delays your success. As Rob Dyrdek says, Make your own luck. Yes, I watch Fantasy Factory. I like skateboarders remember. You have to find the positive in everything, he surely does and is super successful.

What are your thoughts?

How was your weekend?

Have a great day! 

19 comments:

  1. It's wise to think of all our options so we can make plans. Drive will get you lots of place you'd never dreamed of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I get that feeling and ask those questions once every...couple minutes or so. But actions speak louder than words/thoughts so I do what I gotta do. It's the only way. Great post! Glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO matter what you may think at any given time, you DO DESERVE it. You deserve everything you want out of life. So don't forget that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that's the same thoughts we all have. But you'll make it, and we'll be cheering you on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best thing is to not put time limits on yourself. Who knows when it will happen for you, just keep writing and improving your craft and stay focused, don't get distracted by what's happening elsewhere. (My glass is either half full or half empty at any given time. Half empty at night, half full in the mornings)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all have our own paths and there's a season for everything.
    I doubt you'll be the last writer with a book deal. Just don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I definitely have those moments. And days. And weeks. :) But the only thing to do is keep going--I love it too much to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes yes--so been there. And sometimes it's okay to let our thoughts go to those dark places--the place of fear. As long as hope still brings you through! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the inspiring post. It's a journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so true. You just have to say "My journey is my own," and call it good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're all plagued by these self doubts. Just know that you're not alone out there, and there is a great community of folks to support you!

    Plus, you write because you love to. All the rest will come with time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound like me, but at least my pom-poms are newly fluffed. :D

    I have Cold Kiss (ARC from RWA conference) but haven't read it yet. I can't wait to have the change.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of focusing on "you." Makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this post, because all the thoughts you had, I've had, too.

    But I really think it will happen for you, because you're focused on all the right things: yourself, doing what you love, and staying positive. Don't be surprised by how far those things can take you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have that fear ALL THE TIME. And I have to admit, imagining me, miserable, 5 years down the road with nothing to show for my efforts but a HUUUUGE pile of rejection is often a lot easier to imagine than me, 5 years down the road, with an agent or some kind of book deal. (Or even 10 years.)

    But then I remember that the only way to make sure that DOES happen (that I'm the miserable rejected sad person) is to allow thoughts like that to bog me down, and to stop trying. So I won't stop trying!

    Great post, needed it today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, Christine. I think all writers worry that their work won't get published. I know I do on a daily basis. That's when I concentrate on loving the process of writing, of bringing my characters to life. I'm really thankful for other writers who are on this same journey. They always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think we can all relate to this. Comparison is a ruthless fiend, especially if you surround yourself with people who all seem to have what you want (imagine you were infertile--would you only befriend women with six kids? I don't think so!). For that reason, be sure to keep reaching a helping hand to those are still behind you on the path. Getting to know and supporting super-newbies will be an encouragement for both of you to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "I thought for a second about the odds of landing an agent, and how out of all the people there, would I be the one who never gets one. I actually sat there thinking, holy crap, I may be the one. I may be that person who sits there waiting for that one day while everyone else gets it..."

    It appears we were thinking the EXACT same thing at the EXACT same event - except my thoughts arrived between sneezes, coughs, and excusing myself to pop another Halls. Lucky for you, I was in the group, making it impossible for you to be last. Haha.

    You're going to get there. Besides your drive and passion, you work with some really, really awesome CPs. I think you connected with the right people to help guide you in the journey.

    Looking forward to the next one. I'll shield myself from the world so I don't catch anything this time.

    ReplyDelete