Monday, May 9, 2011

That's right, I'm back

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms. Belated. :)

I'm back. Did you miss me? That's right, last week I was on vacation. A little R & R, if you will. I went to California with the family to visit family and friends. It was nice to get away. At first I thought, I have too much going on to do this, but what I didn't realize is how much I needed it.

It slowed my mind down and put things in perspective. It helped me see what I have to do, and how to put things in motion. No writing got done. Gasp. That doesn't mean I wasn't thinking about it. It's funny how those darn characters never leave you alone, even on vacation. It's hard for me to stop working. I always feel like I have to do something productive, but when you let it go a little, it's amazing what filters in.

I thought a lot about my new WiP. I keep thinking that I know what the heart is, but then I tend to think I don't. Obviously, something I need to work on. What I did figure out are some new scenes and things that will help my story move further. I hope what I add will make sense, but that will be up to the CPs to tell me.

We took a day trip to Mount Palomar. Really cool, but what got me was the scenery. I started twisting words on how to describe the trees (I'm talking crazy looking bark), huge pine cones, and dirt. The breathtaking views of the mountains and how they transition to desert. Can you hear the gears turning? Needless to say, I'm excited to get working again.  I can't wait to dive in and see where this will go.

So, here is my goal. I'm going to finish the first draft by June 30th. Focus, right? I must get this done and out of my head. Then--**fingers crossed** I hope to query by the fall. It's good to have goals.

What did I miss?

How was your weekend?

Goals for the week?

Oh and an awesome CP of mine sent me this to drool over:
Can't wait for that! Why does Becca Fitzpatrick have such awesome covers?


Thanks to Anne and Jen for participating in Writing the Next Line. I will post it next week.

I missed everyone. Have a great day!

17 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got away. It really is needed sometimes, huh?? I need to do the same. The timing just isn't right, yet. Hopefully soon... Glad to have you back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try and not do any writing on vacation so i can focus on well, the vacation! :) But it's a mazing what a nice break will do when the time comes to jump back in. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you! I'm glad you're back and that you had a great time. I need to recharge myself and am looking forward to a weekend at the beach. Hopefully soon.

    I haven't done much, too much going on in the real world, but hopefully after tomorrow I can back into my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MIss you too!!! And, oh my! That cover is all sort of AWESOME!!!

    June 30th girl. You can do it! And, I'll be here to nag...I mean help you!! You already know that I LOVE the story.

    As for me, I'm making changes on the 1st draft of the comments I have so far. I'm sort of at a stand still because right now I am waiting on comments. I was hoping to query in June, but I think it will get pushed back to July. Your CA trip sounds fun!!

    Okay- get working!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back! I look forward to reading your blog and missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed you! :) I'm glad you're back and I loved reading about your perspective now. I think you're right on about that. Hard to realize though, for me anyway. I feel like I have to be productive too! Good luck with your story it is AWESOME!!! And you will make it!! I just know it!

    And. . . PATCH!! Can't wait for that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Welcome back! I took last week off, too. It's amazing what a little time away does!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, welcome back! My family was in California for vacation just a couple weeks ago -- we did Hollywood and Catalina Island!

    I wrote a chapter on the plane ride out, but that was it. The rest of the time, I just let it simmer, which it sounds like you did, too. A lot of good stuff can happen in the back of the brain while you simmer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! You're back! We did miss you, and that is a fantastic cover~

    I love visiting California, but I'm so like you. Can't turn off the ole brain; always thinking about the next story. But that's a good thing, right? Have a great week~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can totally write a draft by June 30th :) AND I'll hold you to it! GO GET IT :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a blog break too. Glad you had a nice break. Enjoy your new WIP :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to write while on vacation, but our laptop is dying so I don't do it anymore. You're right, though. Just because you don't write, doesn't mean you aren't thinking about your plot and your characters. :D

    I'll be cheering you on to your goal, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what time away can do! Good luck on your goal! Lots of time. When I typed that it came out "blots of time", whatever that means. But keep at it, you have blots and blots of time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. a friend told me that even when we're not writing on our keyboards, we're still writing in our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you had a great trip. Sometimes it's nice to get away and put the whole writing thing into a box for a week or so, isn't it?

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally planned to have my WIP finished by May 30th for my vacay but holy cow that is 20 days away and at 1k words a day (which I have not hit that often this week) I should be in the third act by now. Agh. So I guess my goal for this week is to quit being a whiny little b*tch and outline the third act and get writing it already!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that is an amazing cover! Hope you had a great trip!

    Btw, I have an award for you at my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete