Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group--Layers


Yep, it's that time again. I can't believe it's May. Whoa. Thanks to the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh for hosting this. Check out the other wonderful participants here.

Yes, I'm still revising. It is forever, but you know how life can be. It gets in the way and then your deadline get pushed and you can't concentrate. It happens. Anyway, that's where I've been. Revising. I need a few days of hours alone, but it's not happening.

Today, I want to talk about layers. Not clothing layers or onion layers, just layers. Although, the whole revising process can be similar. I finally realized when revising to do it in layers. I'm stubborn so it takes me a while to learn. Anyway, I'm talking about going through your manuscript one layer at a time. Let's face it, revising can be overwhelming. Where do you start? And how can you think of everything at once?

Right now, I'm adding scenes. I'm an underwriter so I have to add things. I'm also making sure the sub plots make sense. After this, I will go back through making sure voice is consistent, then I'll check the character arc, then make sure each chapter is moving the story forward, then line edit. See layers. Of course, it doesn't have to be in that order, but you do what's comfortable for you.

This of course feels like it takes forever, but in the end you will have a perfect outfit. Well, perfect is left up to interpretation, let's say, polished.

So, that's where I am and I feel like it'll be forever before I'm through, but I'm hoping it ends soon.

Do you revise in layers?

Have a great day!!


10 comments:

  1. I think I do think of everything at once--which is frustrating. It's a matter of orbiting for me more than layers. Like in an asteroid belt, not a regular orbit. I go here and there and everywhere in everything I do. I like this global approach but I definitely prefer a more organized method like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. My IWSG post was on insecurities about revising. Layers sound like a great way to go about it. Simply Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. i kind of do that, and also revise the heck out of it. i'm in the re-do stage. then will be the proofing stage, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I have to because my brain can't see everything at once. One revision is always dedicated to passive voice. :) It does take forever, but it's worth it in the end.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I do! And I am a bare-bones writer as well. Nice to know someone else has to add scenes rather than delete them.
    Ogres have layers as well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Christine, I think whether we admit it or not, we have to revise in layers. There's no getting things right on the first or second go round. I find that even at what I think is the final edit, I can be inspired to add another scene or extend one a bit more. There's no rushing the process and we all go at different speeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do layer. It's funny; even when I plan scenes out, going over it later - again and again - always inspires me to add more flavor and spice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sort of like chipping away at the mountain. One step at a time and you'll eventually reach the top. You can't take it to quickly. Each path has new and exciting things to see. Discovery is half the battle. The other half is figuring out the best way to climb and reach the top. This is a wonderful post that brings up some very intriguing images for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also revising in layers. I did a scene layout and then added scenes and correcting inconsistencies. Now I'm working all the motivations and fleshy bits while I'm rewriting each chapter. I was definitely daunted, but it's not as bad as my first book, so there's a lot less to fix and it doesn't have to be a complete rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, layers--and I'm in edit mode, too (BRAIN=FRIED)!

    ReplyDelete