Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group

Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for organizing and hosting this event every month. Go to Alex's blog to see the other participants.

So, I've been away, taking a hiatus if you will. I've been doing a lot of thinking and trying to write. I'm trying. When I get a moment, I open the doc I've been working on and read it, then try to add. I just don't have that feeling I had when I started it. I like what I wrote, but that giddy feeling you get in your chest when you write something new is not there. I know it will be back. I'm focusing on strengthening my craft and soaking up my actual strengths. I've also been looking back.

Yep, looking back. Not dwelling on the the past, ya know, whoa-is-me stuff. I'm talking about how far you've come. Go ahead bring up your very first draft. Seriously. Yes, scary, but read the first page. I'll wait a sec. Now, bring up your latest draft. Go on.

I see your mouth drop, and your eyes turn into huge saucers. That is called growth. Focus on it. Yes, there is a billion pages of internet that throw info at you--showing successes and failures, and to be honest, it can overwhelm you. It can make you feel small and inadequate. Throw in rejection after rejection and you're beat up like you've taken 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Looking back and reading your success can give you power. It can make you love what you do. It's why you do it. Hold on to your strengths. Use them as your light through the dark tunnel of your journey. They can guide you through the hard times and help you power up your weaknesses.

Have you taken a moment to see how far you've come?

I hoping to be back in a couple of weeks. I still need a little time to sort some things. I'm working hard and hopefully will be back to full speed. I'm hoping to finish a first draft by the end of September and start revising another novel to prep it for querying.

How is everyone?

Have a great day!

22 comments:

  1. Excellent post! It's so true that we often forget to congratulate ourselves on our successes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I don't dare open up the manuscripts I wrote in the 90's. (They are saved on floppy disks, by the way. I'm not even sure I *can* open them, although I think I have paper copies somewhere.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice to look at old drafts whenever you need a good pick me up! Best of luck to you as you finish your draft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I love looking at old vs. new writing and seeing the difference! Let's celebrate growth! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very correct about this view of personal growth. Meditating on where I was when I dedicated myself to becoming a serious writer and where I am now only encourages me. Being able to see our own growth is vital to our future growth. (Can I use the word growth again???)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Christine. This is so true...now, which version of TW should I open and read??? Can't wait to *see* you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i haven't taken the time to see how far i've come. maybe it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are spot on Christine. You have to remind yourself every once and awhile that you are getting better. It is the one thing I love about editing is that no matter how hard and frustrating it is at time, your work is getting better. It is all about getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol. I've seen how far I've come. I looked at one WIP I wrote four years ago, and I wanted to tsk tsk myself bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice! I recently took out the first novel I wrote, which had been revised many times, and still saw my growth from then and now. I think it was three years since I had read it, and I found myself revising the story yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I've improved even from just the first published book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First drafts are scary monsters. You're a brave one!

    Good luck querying after your break. And don't feel guilty about taking a break... if you're not feeling it when you write, maybe some time away will help.

    But be sure to come back! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I took a moment a week or so ago to look back. I have to say, I am impressed by what I can do now as opposed to then, but ... geez! What was I thinking!? Now I want to work on those and strengthen them to the full potential they have. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great question, and yes I have stopped to consider how far I've come. By God's favor and mervy I have written two books and am working on a third. I give HIM the honor as I certainly could not do this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you're accomplishing a lot writing! Good for you! Nice to meet you- I've come over from the IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. You really want me to look at my first ever writing? Maybe some day when I need a laugh I will :)
    But you are right. Even though rejection hurts it makes me wander what an agent would say if they saw my first story ever? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. your blog is great contribution for entire blogosphere, I follow you now here is mine http://jakesprinter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes it's hard to appreciate how far we've come. I look at my first book and shake my head. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  19. My current WIP is a complete mess. I have to stop and remind myself that my completed stories were once in the same, or an even worse, state and that this one will get better if I work at it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I were to reread the first draft of the book I'm now querying, I wouldn't recognize it. The story has changed that much.

    I've read the first draft my new wip but will have to read it again next week. I took a long break from it to revise my other novel, and I can't remember what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Post! I can't look at my first ever WIP - mom got rid of it - apparently too racy and violent for a teen to write. Looking at the first draft of my serious attempts to write though may make me laugh or cry ;)

    Thanks for the positive post - I feel like I can take out Tyson now.

    *~MAJK~*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sometimes I tire and begin to equate volume with a sense of achievement. At times we all fall for that little temptress that lures us into a false sense of security. But then I remember that eloquence of phrase is a lot like dancing. It is not in the expenditure of energy that we make beautiful movement come to life. We simply have to clutch onto the notion that sometimes even the briefest thoughts can translate into sublime poetry which, when read back to ourselves, feels like the music that the dancer uses to defy gravity.

    ReplyDelete