Monday, August 20, 2012

Closing Summer

I'm back. Right now, I'm going to post at least once a week. When school starts, I'll be back in full swing.

Summer is coming to a close. I love summer, but I also like a more structured schedule so with September coming . . . yes, I'm wearing a happy face. It's funny because this is the time I reflect. Most people (including me sometimes) think that January is the time to make goals and resolutions. For some reason, it also happens in September for me. I guess it's like a new school year for me. New schedule, new outlook, I'm excited and I'm ready to work. I can see clearly. In January, I'm in a fog of Christmas lights and bloated full of sweets so usually my resolution is to lose weight.

Maybe it's the change of season too. Who knows. All I know is I'm back and ready. So what have I been doing--traveling, writing, spending time with family, and querying. Not necessarily in that order. I also attended WriteOnCon. Simply awesome. I was able to post some stuff in the forums and got great feedback from other writers.

I'm writing something new and feels awesome. I plan to learn lots more by attending a conference and maybe a few classes. I guess the thing is--I'm feeling more prepared and less scared. I know I can get there if I just keep learning and doing.

So, with that said, what are your goals?

How was your summer?

If you are in the West Chester area this weekend, go to PAYA--simply awesome. Lots of great authors to meet. And if you stay in West Chester for dinner, Philly Lit is meeting at Iron Hill Brewery (great brewery--I'm  not biased or anything). Fun things happen at Philly Lit so don't miss it.

Have a great day!!!

5 comments:

  1. My summer was great, but busy! I love September and October. They're limbo months to me. No social obligations, holidays to plan. Bliss. Great to have you back! I just got back today myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer has been wonderful, and I'm still soaking it in. At the same time, it's my birthday today and fall is just around the corner, so I'm reflecting on the whole year behind, and looking to the year ahead. I'm excited and hopeful. I'll be self-publishing sometime in the next six months . . .I don't have a date set in stone yet, but I'm clear on that purpose and know that I'm almost ready. Life is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make my best resolutions in September. I guess I'm on a school year schedule, too. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

  4. You know that we have opposite viewpoints on this, since fall is the end of my extra writing time.

    But I'm content to go back to work. The fact is, I'm too hard on myself when I have nothing to do all day but write. I worry too much. I agonize and berate myself. I have attacks of insecurity.

    Better I go back to work and spend my day with fifth graders who keep me on my toes. Then, when I score writing time in the evening, I value it and I get stuff done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always counted my life by summers when I was a kid, so I still tend to think of summer as the best part of the year. The idea of summer ending still saddens me and I don't have to go to school!

    But I had some awful news this particular summer (the death of a friend, followed by the news about the bookstore possibly closing), so in a way, I'm not sorry it's drawing to a close.

    ReplyDelete