Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group

It's funny, but according to Alex J. Cavanaugh, I've participated in every posting of IWSG. I'm still trying to figure out if that's good or bad. Obviously, I'm insecure and a writer, but am I really super insecure? Like over the top? Maybe and maybe not. We all have some insecurities. It can be as small as not liking your big toe. My thing is I express myself best when I write so hence lots of posts on my feelings while riding on the tracks of this crazy journey.

Writing isn't easy, especially if you want to be published. When people ask if it's lonely, I simply answer it can be. At times, yes, it is, but I think I tend to make it that way (over thinking). There are so many people who have hopped in the seat next to me, to give support, encouragement, or just to talk. All of it has given me a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart and brings a smile to my face. So many people put up with my whining (which I plan to slow it down a bit, I know I've said that before), I'm still astonished they still listen. I write on emotion, so I'm trying to keep some things to me only so no one else has to suffer.

The thing is--I know that I've finally found my passion. Yes, I've said this before, but after everything I've learned and as I work my way through the trenches of querying, I still want to keep going. Writing is something I can never let go. I can't stop creating stories or characters. Plus, if I keep talking to myself with no reason why, I may be heading to the psych ward.

So thank you writers and bloggy friends for all you do. Writing has taught me many things, not only about writing, but about who I am and how wonderful people (real people) can be.

What have you learned on your journey?

Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for working so hard and hosting this event. Go check out the other participants.

*Please disregard any mistakes--my brain is not awake. *looks for caffeinated beverage*

Have a great day!

20 comments:

  1. You're not overly insecure - you just realize that writers do need the support of others to continue. If we were on our own completely, most of us would never make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'I can't stop creating stories and characters' -- totally agree with this. I can't imagine a time when there won't be people telling me their stories in my head. I can't remember a time they weren't there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on participating every month. I tried, but needed to take some breaks from blogging as I moved from England back to the US.

    Like you I learned that writing is my passion, my bliss, and that I'll never stop because I was meant to be a writer. Whether or not anyone will ever read my work is a different question. I can say that perseverance and working on my craft helped me win contests, get an agent, and my first contract (with a small publisher). Support of family and friends is crucial.

    Never stop writing :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it seem weird that I don't feel so alone with all the character voices in my head? Hmmm maybe I really do need therapy. lol

    I agree with you about the passion to write and the passion to write your stories. That's the most important thing. Without that, you have nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with Alex!

    Trying to write down everything I've learned would take up several blog posts, but one of the biggest lessons is realising that it's okay to ask for help. Part of the reason I learned that is because awesome bloggers like you were there to help me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned I can't do it and I can't NOT do it either. It's like . . . if I try TOO hard I botch the whole thing. Well, if you read my post today, you'll know what I mean. It's not about pushing, this writing thing, it's all about the release. THAT's what I've discovered!! W00t!!

    --Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for the support of the writing community! Because writing is my passion, too, but the process can be so frustrating sometimes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're sticking with it, Christine. And yes, it's wonderful that there are so many supportive people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christine. Being able to have the opportunity to write and create stories and share them with the world is the goal. The community and the support from everyone is bonus. When I started this blogging and writing I didn't know or didn't realize there would be this community that want to help each other get better. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christine! I have to agree. As hard as it is - and it can be super-tough - I love writing! I've definitely found my dream job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it means you're a dedicated and supportive blogger. Good luck with querying, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd rather be friends with insecure writers than egotistical ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Knowing what we love, and needing to do it (create characters and stories) doesn't make it any easier when we're aiming for publication. My sister writes, but she does it just for herself with no desire to be published much less let other people read her work. Her insecurities are much less as well.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the things I have learned... and like you, I try to stop being the whiner. It is difficult and I am surprised people still listen, but that is the power of this community. Bless them all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've learned that I'm a perfectionist and terrified of my dream coming true...it's so comfortable in lala land.... Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought of several things I could write that I learned. But then I realized that, in each case, they are things my head had learned but my heart still has trouble with. Like rejection isn't the end of the world. And it's okay for first drafts to stink. And it's not necessary to obsess over every email from your editor. And I ought not compare my progress to other writers. The list goes on.

    So let's just use my teacher language and say "These are my objectives. I am working toward these goals."

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've learned that it doesn't really ever get any easier. Sigh!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have learned that to write you must read, read and read. Also, as nice as social media is for mixing it up with other authors and book loving pals, I have learned to use it in moderation so as not to allow it to distract me from my joy of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Better late than never (from IWSG). Great post...you continue to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete