Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday Mumbles

Grab your favorite wake up beverage and kick back. Yep, I'm still here. I know I've been M.I.A. but I haven't forgotten about you. It's that time of year so things get a little more hectic than usual. I'm not only buying and wrapping up presents, I'm also wrapping up clients (not literally). I've been thinking about the blog and how to freshen it up. I realize that it seems to have strayed off the path I intended. Yes, I did intend to discuss my journey (hence the name), but I think I want to try to focus on being more helpful. Writing posts that inform more about writing than about my woes. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the support and will need it from time to time. It's just something I'm aiming for in the new year.

I usually discuss this closer to the new year, but I've decided to write about it today. What I've learned this year. That's easy lots and lots. I considered this year my sophomore year so here's what stuck out besides the usual show not tell.

1.The big thing--how to take a crit. I know I should've learned this last year but I'm getting better at sorting through feedback and knowing what needs to be fixed and what is opinion.

2. No matter how much you revise, you can do more. At least, that what it seems like. Amp it up is one of the many things. I will be discussing this in a future post.

3. I have the best support group in the world. Okay, I knew this last year, but it's even more evident this year.

4. I've learned more about queries than I ever thought possible and I'm not done yet. The darn thing will get there, I'm sure of it. The hope is to query early in the year.

5. Even though I feel like the oddball, the weird one or just the one who doesn't fit in, I will get there at my own pace. I'm a writer. It may be frustrating, but I know I will not stop till I get there.

6. Realize I still have a long way to go. I'm not that awesome (not that I thought I was awesome in the first place). I've learned how to be a better writer. I see how to write a novel differently. It doesn't mean I'm not giving up my panster style yet. It's just how I write. That probably makes no sense. I'd better go and grab some hot chocolate.

So what did you learn this year?

Stay tuned on my blog for some giveaways--yep they're coming. :)

Have a great day!