Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Oh the butt

Yeah, your butt, your behind. I think I'm getting the butt of a writer. I naturally have had wider hips than the average lady, but sitting a lot, does nothing for it. Now, this may not apply to the guys (just statin' the facts, I'm not a hater) or some of you model like gals (again not a hater, a little jealous, but not a hater).

I mean, really, you sit for hours looking at a screen, creating, (I'm not going into what this is doing to my eyes, which are already in bad shape--most of us wear glasses, right? That's a whole other post waiting to be written), traveling to other worlds, etc. And most of my motivation to do anything else is poured into my passion, so as much as I want to run cause I know it will tone me, that motivation moves to putting another piece of chocolate in my mouth. Hey, it's easier than getting up and sweating.

So, I thought how can lose weight, well tone, and write because we all know I'm not stopping that.

1. I want to run and type so maybe the Wii can be involved, somehow, I'm just throwing this out there. Would it look weird? Controller in one hand, the other hand on the keyboard...that's an accident waiting to happen. And the typing may not be the best.

2. Make it easier. Stand and type, you're not sitting so everything that was going to the butt is going down to your feet. Although, I'm doing this right now and it's not good on the back.

3. Yeah, so out of ideas already. I guess I have to go back to dividing my time. **groan** My ADD will be mad at that one, since it likes to do two things at once. I like trying to accomplish two things at once, it gives me more time. Wait a sec. It gives me more time to write. Dividing my time it is.

Are you dividing your time, getting some exercise? I need to pump myself up for it. A little fresh air could help the creative juices. **opens door** **cringes** Except when it's 100 degrees and the humidity ceases all air flow to my lungs. Yeah, motivation definitely needed.

Let me know some of your motivation techniques to get into the mood of exercise.

Have a great day!

16 comments:

  1. I've got writer's butt, writer's back and writer's feet from trying varying positions of writing (standing, sitting, leaning on the kitchen counter...) but my solution to finding time for exercise and not giving up writing time (although I really like the idea of the wii!) is to walk or run whilst percolating ideas - that way I'm doing both at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's easy for me. Everytime I go running, I end up solving plot problems and come up with ideas for other things in the book. This is all the motivation I need to run. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get some small recording device, go to they gym and talk to yourself while you're on the elyptical. You will look crazy. This is okay. Go home and type it out ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Stina, running/walking gives me time to iron out my frustrations and work out plot plans. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you go for a run. Things that didn't seem clear before suddenly make sense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby tried the stand at the computer for about a month. His legs hurt.

    I've started running again. Splitting your time is hard, but the benefits are worth it. Like Stina and Jen, its a great time to just think about all the things you have to figure out. And running gets your blood pumping so you get more of it in your brain. And the shrinking butt is always a plus.

    Actually my butt hasn't shrunk much yet, but I have legs to die for! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also a running advocate, though honestly I get better ideas in the shower.

    It's kinda like I told my husband last night--when your body shuts down on you early because you didn't take care of it, will you be wishing you'd (gone running) eaten better, or be glad you (wrote for thirty extra minutes) played that video game an extra hour? I like to say dire things like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. for the last year, my time has been spent packing boxes, and more recently, cleaning the house, all for our move to Montana. i think that counts as excercise. and i'm going to count climbing the stairs in our rental house. sadly, there has been no writing. hoping that comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Stina et al: run. It offers the most benefits in the least amount of time (and let's face it, time is of the essence!), I often work out plot ideas while running, I get rid of anger at my unpleasant work environment, and it gets both me and my dog up and out into the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great topic! The first year I became a writer I gained twenty pounds. This past year I started doing Pilates (my daily dog walks were no longer doing anything for me) and I lost 16 pounds--whew!!! Working out defintiely feels good (plus I can fit in my cute clothes again)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! My motivation to exercise comes from my children AND when I can't get my jeans on anymore. : ) Good luck making time. It can be hard, but once you get into a routine, it'll get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hit the gym several times a week. You can also write while on a treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could read books on an elliptical machine but I can't--too much movement.

    I've heard of people making walking desks. You make a desk relatively high, then stick a treadmill right up at it and set it at a low speed. Takes a lot of work, but it's been done.

    Oh look, I googled it for you:
    http://www.treadmill-desk.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I almost always exercise. I need it for mental health. And I solve so many plot problems when I run!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually take a break after writing a chapter/scene and do a few laps around the first floor of our house. If you walk 10 minutes after ever 30 minutes of writing, you can get at least 40 or so minutes in of exercise (and it's been proven you do not need to exercise 40 minutes straight to make the work effective...it can be in increments!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, I always feel like I have to devote huge chunks of time to writing...I tend to get the most accomplished on weekends cuz I'm just too tired during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good points and I think I should think about what you say.

    karen millen

    ReplyDelete