Monday, July 18, 2011

Back to reality

I was on vacation last week. The beach. Soft sand, ocean rumbling, sea gulls making weird calls and dive bombing people for french fries, the smell of fried food, and the light cool sea breeze. Can you feel it? I'm sort of still there in my head. It takes me a while to get back into the groove, but I have to snap out of it, I've got a lot of work to do.

Revisions. Now, don't go running. I know it can be a scary word, but I'm trying to push away the fear and look at it with a set of optimistic eyes. It's one of those things where you take a deep breath and dive in. I feel like I've been working on them forever, but really it's only been a few weeks for baby number 2. I got a great critique earlier in the week and it really put things in perspective on what I need to do to this baby. You know, one of those a-ha moments. It gave me a push really on where I need to be and made me really believe in this story. Of course, this will require the following things.

Focus. Another one of those words. More like easier said than done. With a few piles of laundry, dust on all hard surfaces that now have faces drawn into them and cat hair all over the carpet (creating tumble weeds), it's easy to lose sight. Not to mention, two small kiddos needing something every five minutes. Frustration can build causing writers block and totally ruining the mood. I'm trying to get back to "the schedule" that allows me some sort of writing time.

Determination. It's burning so hot I may breathe fire soon. I can't believe after an awesomely (yes, I said awesomely) helpful critique how much hotter the fire could burn. I never knew I could want something so badly and how hard I'm willing to work for it.

So, I have a goal to finish my first round of revisions by next week. Hopefully. I want to get started on any plot revisions soon.

I also read an incredible book on my vacation. Cracked by K. M. Walton. It's not due out until March 2012. I will give my review closer to the release date, but let's just say it's really, really good. Awesome. Fantastic. Okay, I'll stop. You will love it. Yes, I will be doing some promo of this as the birth of this baby comes closer. Stay tuned.
How was your weekend?

What are your goals?

Have you read any good books lately?

Have a great day!

14 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great vacation! Isn't it awesome when you a great critique points in the right directions and inspires? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the heat being so high here (outside and in terms of determination), we had a lot of swimming time this weekend. Connecting with good friends and my family seems to have refilled me enough for the next big push. Revisions...they are full of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it!!! Especially now that you're all refreshed from your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vacation was inspiring too. But man it's hard to take a vacation from writing. I'm already itching to go back to revisions, but I need to give my WIP a little more distance. I'll just have to live vicariously through you instead, Christine. :D

    And I can't wait to read Cracked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you about my mind still being at the beach. *sigh* And, I'm right there with you on all counts of revisions, focus and determination. BOB girl...name the date, time and place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, as goals go I'd like to finish revising and editing this MS so i can send it out to betas. I just finished Kristan Higgins 'My One and Only' and really enjoyed it. And I read all the sookie stackhouse books in a matter of weeks. They were that addictive. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had family visiting from Kansas last week, so I kind of feel the same way -- back to normal life. The house has less people in it, and we've finally vacuumed up the dog hair from 2 dogs. I have been fretting about revisions, too. And somewhere during the week I hit rock bottom in my emotional enthusiasm for this story ... as though I had somehow missed the boat and it was an unredeemable flop.

    But it's a new week, I've had time to mull over the beta feedback, and there's a lot of work still to be done, but I AM NOT GIVING UP. That's a promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your revisions go well. Isn't it nice when you get a wonderful critique?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a great vacation! Also, good luck on your revisions! They can be a scary and overwhelming thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a great vacation! I hope your revisions go as well! Can't wait to hear more about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your vacation sounds really awesome. Good luck on your revisions!

    I've just finished LEGEND by Marie Lu, and it was a thrilling read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm so envious of your vacation. Sounds like such a wonderful getaway.

    I need to focus on my next project as well, but with so much going on during summer it becomes difficult.

    Walton's book looks very intriguing. Can't wait to read your review.

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear,

    Just do your best and I believe you can!

    karen millen

    ReplyDelete