Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Workout Wednesday

Yep, the middle of the week. Right in the middle. No closer to the end than the beginning. This week hasn't been the most productive. I'm hoping I get an awesome editing session in today. My freeze is starting to thaw a tiny bit so I'm hoping I can get into the groove and kick some butt. I'm also hoping my book reading speeds up. It seems like when one thing slows down, another picks up. It happens with everything. Focus on kids--the house is dirty. You know how it goes. I've also been watching a little more TV.
The shows I've been following:

1. Storage Wars

2. Grimm

3. Once Upon A Time

4. Ghost Hunters

5. Bones

A mixed bag. It's hard for me to pick up a new show, though. I started to watch Lost Girl on Syfy and have been told to check out Being Human. The problem is-- I compare shows I used to love to these newbies.



Ahh my favorite vamps. Plus, David Boreanaz is a local celeb.

Buffy and Angel were my favorites. *sigh* Really, JossWhedon = genius (George Lucas falls into this category too). The funny thing is--I loved them so much I wrote a new character for the series, Angel (2 journals full). I even dreamt that I'd send my character to Joss Whedon and he'd love it so much, he'd put it
into the show. It was only a dream because my self-confidence was minus zero so nothing happened there, but a great writing exercise came out of it.

What is it, you ask? Develop a whole new character for a show you love and write them in, maybe make new stories/episodes. It works for movies too. I've done it many times. You can play with emotion, senses, actions, dialogue, etc. You learn to write a character with characters you are familiar with. Plus, it's fun. You can even imagine it's you and write how you would interact with the characters on your favorite show. I've never tried it with a reality show, though.
So, have you tried writing a new character for your favorite TV show? Any favorite writing exercises you'd like to share?

In the news: Go here to learn more about an opportunity for a query critique from Elana Johnson. Yes, the Elana Johnson. There's this big event NiNoCon going on February 4th. Elana will be talking about writing a killer query and a few folks will be able to get a critique by this lovely lady.

Have a great day!