Friday, February 6, 2015

Don't overthink it

So lately I've been having this issue of overthinking everything I write. It makes my creative brain clogged like some pores are filled with acne. I really don't know how to get away from this annoyance. Each word I type is analyzed and torn apart. The voice of the character fades and I write and rewrite scenes on a daily basis. I guess you could say I'm writing, but I feel like I have to hold back. All the rules and advice slam me every time I sit and draft.

This all leads to overthinking and it's starting to overstay it's welcome. On one hand, it was helpful for me to slow down and think about what I was doing, really dig deep. I tend to fly through things, I'm a panster after all, so I thought if I take my time and really look at it, pick it apart, I wouldn't have so much later on. Like major changes in revisions. There will always be revisions, I know this, this is my fifth manuscript, but it's taking something away from the whole process. I'm not feeling fully immersed into the character. Before, the character lived in me at all times and I felt everything, now the character is just telling me things and it feels forced. This is not particularly a great thing. Sure I still have a story, but when you write first person, present tense, you better feel and see it always.

So, I've been getting super frustrated and cranky. I've taken days off and have read other books to see if separation was good. But when I come back to it, the analyzing returns. I want to write this book badly because I have another to revise and that requires going in deep.  I want to finish this first draft before jumping into the other one. The characters are different and I don't want to mix personalities.

I need some thoughts on this. Has this happened to you?

If so, what did you do to change it?

Have a great weekend!!