Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group

First, thanks to the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh for hosting this group every month. Writers are insecure and we need all the support we can get. Thanks Alex!

Last night, I went to my yoga class. It's taken me a year, but I finally decided to start going again. When life takes over, I tend to forget to take care of me. As I went through the motions that the instructor so calmly spoke, I started to think. My mind is never blank, it's always in motion. I tried to organize my thoughts, trying to hold on to one. I finally slowed it down, let the stress release, and let my head somewhat clear.

New ideas came through and ideas on how to change or revise other manuscripts made themselves known. I know I wrote a post similar to this last year, when I started yoga. This is a reminder that you have to take care of you. You have to take a moment and soak in the suns rays and breathe. Besides all the hustle and bustle of real life, writing life can be just as nuts.

I'm always trying to keep my writing up. If I don't accomplish a certain word count or a certain amount of pages revised, I feel like I've let myself down, I'm falling behind or missing opportunity. But it shouldn't be that way. Writing is a part of me, yes. I feel empty without it and I try to learn and practice everyday, because I want to grow and write stories that I love with the hope to share them with the world. But I also have to keep in mind that taking care of me is important too. It soothes the soul and energizes the mind. Taking care of yourself can boost creativity and energy.

So with the whole hub bub of the holiday season, take a moment to regroup and take some time for you-- to just breathe and think. You will be happy that you did.

Have you taken a moment for you?

Please go check out the other participants.

Have a great day!!

16 comments:

  1. Great advice. I am trying to learn to relax and breathe. I don't know what happens when we become adult writers and we suddenly have this DEMAND on our foreheads. If we don't meet that DEMAND, we are instant FAILURES. It's silly, but that's what we do to ourselves. Writing is a part of me, yes, but it is hard to not have those goals set in front of me. It does keep me on task. But learning to relax is important too. Have a HAPPY HOLIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'm terrible at yoga, but I love running, and I always find I do my best brainstorming when I'm outside jogging. It really does clear my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like Meredith am terrible at yoga. My doctor just told me to start taking Tai Chi. I'm finding it really relaxing and a wonderful way to start the day! It also helps me clear my mind before I start writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love yoga but I, too, have a terrible time being quiet in my head. Maybe it's a writer thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so not good at yoga! But I know what you mean about taking a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking care of "you" is so important! My insecurities as a writer this month seem to stem from the fact that I have not taken good care of me. Hmm, looks like I really needed this! Thanks :)

    Wandered over from the IWSG!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. New ideas come to me all the time when I'm exercising. I hear this from other writers, too. It's kind of cool, right? Anyway, thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the constant battle/competition with self is what truly distinguishes the writer mentality from most pursuits, Christine. It's often all we have to go on--what have I done, and what can I get better at. You know?

    This is my first month in the IWSG and I'm trying to make the rounds. I know loads of people in the group already, so was pleased to find someone 'new'! :-) Enjoyed your post, and nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think of it as a marathon rather than a set of short sprints.
    That's why I enjoy playing my guitar. Gives my mind a break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely feel better and write better when I take the time to take care of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT advice. It IS so important to look after you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm getting there, and yoga rocks!

    Nice to meet you via the IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said, Christine! My mind is always working too and it's so refreshing to clear it. I'd love to take yoga classes again. But for now, I use walks to rejuvenate me.

    Thanks so much for stopping by with congrats on my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely know that I have not been taking care of myself! But now that WRiTE CLUB is at an end...things will be changing! Thanks for the reminder!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great advice! I have been promising myself yoga forever. 2013 may be the year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey. I stumbled upon this site and wanted to say how happy I was to see that you are writing. You always had a vivid imagination and I was always impressed with your ideas. I"m glad to see you are following your passion for writing.

    ReplyDelete