Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope. Insecure Writer's Support Group


You know the line. Right now, I think Obi-Wan is the only one who can help me with that whole force thing. He did help me with my new idea this week so I can't complain too much.

Hope is something we rely on. I hope. Okay, I hope a lot. I hope for world peace and for all illnesses to disappear. I also hope for little things like a partial request.

Does hope disappoint?
I guess it does, but maybe I don't give it a chance or maybe I sometimes rely on it, which only lets me down.

What is hope?
According the Merriam Webster Dictionary.com -- to cherish a desire with anticipation.
Basically, you can hope for anything, doesn't mean it will happen.

Is it wrong to hope?
No, but like I said before, I'm trying not to rely on it. Same goes for beliefs, lately they have given me lots of disappointments.

I guess my problem this week is I know the MS I'm querying will not get me there. I feel it. So why am I putting myself through the torture? For experience? Maybe. To say I tried it. I really believed in this story, but that hope and belief are fading. I'm realizing unless luck decides to join in, this story is just another story that's uninteresting.

So, what do you do?
In my case, I'm trying to go with the flow. I'm trying to focus on my new stuff and my other completed MS (and the six other ideas invading my head). Thanks to the force of Obi-Wan, my new idea is taking over, which feels great.

I will still query this one, because, for some reason, there is a teeny tiny spark of hope that luck may step in. But my belief is that it's not the one. Confusing and conflicted, I know. Welcome to my world. But aren't writers complex folks?

What are you hoping for?

Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for putting this group together. Please go here to check out all the participants.

Have a great day!

20 comments:

  1. It's so difficult, isn't it? You put your work out there, convinced nobody will love it as much as you. I'm sure all writers feel like this at some point but lots get published so we have to keep hoping one day it'll be us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there. I quit querying my first book after 15 agents (had one partial request that became a full and then my first rejection). But I only queried two agents at a time (that was before I'd heard of Querytracker) and waited to hear back from them (non responders didn't exist back then). A year later, I was ready to move on. I knew that wasn't the book to do it. Plus I changed my writing direction. I no longer wanted to write YA fantasy, and the book had been part of a planned series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the only cure is to be ok with ourselves, no matter what the outcome is of our querying, etc. -- to not let the results define who we are, or what our worth is as a writer or a person. that's a tough one, i know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think hope is a scary thing not to have, but I understand what you mean, completely.

    At the moment, I hope that my WIP is publishable, funny, and that people will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to hope in the midst of despair. But hope moves the world. And I won't go into the song of the mustard seed. =) It's in Spanish. But anyway, you're not alone. I shelved one ms and the other is looking pretty gloomy right now. I too am still querying it because you never know, you know? =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes hope is all we have even if belief fails us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think focusing on the new ideas but not giving up hope on the MS is the way to go. Good things will happen, but they may happen more slowly than you would like. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope is a wonderful thing to have-it gives you something to believe in, something to look forward to, things like that. I always hope...I hope I get something writerly done today, I hope that this month I can finally manage to finish the revision of my MS I've been working on since November or December (can't remember for sure anymore). Then I have bigger hopes-I hope one day I will have an agent (or a publisher). I even have hopes that one day my kids won't be so WILD. :)

    Focusing on a new idea while still querying your MS is a fantastic thing. Hoping for the best is always a good thing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope for the big things too but whereas the small things as concerned, I mostly hope for the confidence to put my book out in the world.

    Good luck with everything...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope to finally get the words out of head and onto the page! Good luck to you.
    -MJ visiting from the support group
    http://creativelyspiltink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you feel, I feel that way about my ms. It's good to hope, that's how you can achieve things. Without hope, you won't even bother to attempt, and you'll never see if anything's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We gotta have hope! We just gotta! You can't give up on this manuscript just because of a few rejections. Has anyone else read it? Has anyone told you it's bad? Keep sending it out, get some real feedback on it but in the meantime, move on to your next great story! H-O-P-E means I Have Options: Print or Ebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't give up because you never know, maybe it will work out. Hope keeps us curious and drives us forward. Who are we without hope? I know it's hard, actually I don't but I can imagine. I've never gotten to the query stage...but I hope to, some day. (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. What am I hoping for? That I can eke out the time needed to finish one of my WIP. ;-) Great post, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I get down and tell myself I'm not good enough before somebody else has a chance to tell me that. I haven't queried yet, but I know it'll be a tough battle to stay positive. I say keep hoping-maybe that's what "the force" really is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christine, I'm glad you have a new project you believe in to help you get through the query process. Sometimes, there are stories we love that aren't right of the times, or the market, or the trends ... Doesn't mean they won't come into their own someday, in their current form or some other form. I'm glad you're trying it anyway, because as you said, there's always hope. But I'm also glad you have another one in the cooker. That's what got me through some pretty rough times!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you get a good response. Once it goes out, it's out of your control. It's a win for submitting it. You should celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Christine, I have so been there. And it's okay... to keep hoping and querying b/c what do you have to lose? Except your time-but you're not ready to give up writing, RIGHT? RIGHT! But writing that new story is what got me through and made me BETTER and it will you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think moving on to the next project is a good way to avoid going crazy waiting. The more you write, the more you improve, the more hopeful you can be about the success of your manuscript.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Without hope, what else is there? I agree with some of the other comments, though. Movingo n to a new project keeps the mind focussed in a healthy, non-crazy place :)

    ReplyDelete