Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Crushes


Oh the crush. Remember in high school, that one particular person you kept dreaming about--you couldn't get them out of your mind. Yeah, those days. The thing about a crush is whoever it is they make an impression that's keeps you thinking about them. I've been thinking about this in relation to books. I'm not talking about those books that you would read over and over till your eyes bleed because the MC and story and writing were just that awesome. I'm talking about secondary characters, you know, those characters who make you crush on them (Patch (Hush, Hush) and Jay (The Body Finder) come to mind).

The thing is most books give me the whole package: great story, character arc, written well, voice, but some stories, especially second and third books in a series, tend to lose a little. Now, I'm not saying it's easy to write this so I'm not judging because I'm sure my stuff is probably not up to par, but I will read a second or third book just for a secondary character. I'm totally guilty of this. I find myself skipping parts just to find their name and read their scene.

Why does this happen?

Maybe it's a simple fantasy. Someone we might be attracted to in real life. Who knows. The author writes them with such precision, but doesn't keep the interest up with the main character, so we want to know more about the secondary character than the MC. Most of the time, I begin to find the main character boring and whiny and the "love" interest is more appealing. We also may not know what is going through the secondary character's head since we are seeing them through the MC's eyes, but hey, it's satisfying something.

My question to you fine folks is: Are you guilty of this?
Don't be shy, admit it.

Check out a new blog Writerly Rejects. Looks like it will be fun and informative. They're also having a giveaway so check it out.

Have a great day!

10 comments:

  1. I end up being guilty of this with a lot of tv shows too. I start crushing on, not just the supporting characters but the setting. Oh- I so crush on setting. Sometimes I'll read a book based on where it takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like CQG, I've also picked up books just for the setting and movies because of a favorite actor. I'll admit my guilty pleasure is watching Little Women and skipping to just the scenes with Laurie because Christian Bale makes him so darned appealing. Boy can that guy rock a cravat. Sigh. (Meanwhile, I wanted to punch Winona Ryder as Jo. Irritating to the max.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a crush on Patch. And I do find Nora to be uber irritating so I suppose I am guilty of this. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA I do this as well. It's so hard not to fall for some of these "crushes" and to relive those terrifying/exciting/exhilarating/horrifying moments for yourself:) Personally, though I loved Mara from the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, I REALLY loved Noah:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am TOTALLY guilty of this too. Half the time I don't care about the mc. I want to know about the hot secondary character. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely have literary (and TV) crushes on secondary characters! When an MC has a crush on a boy who's not annoying or too flawed, I tend to have a crush on him, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Secondary characters often steal the show in movies - why not in books?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I can totally relate to becoming more interested in a secondary character than the MC and definitely skipping pages to see when this character next appears.

    Now when it happens in my own writing ... erg ... makes me wonder if I've got the right MC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey you, great post idea! I think for me in that first book, it's all about the chase, the beginning attraction, if you will. So in the second book it's already been established and can be ho hum. I like what Maggie s. did in second book of Shiver series--she introduced a couple newer characters and we got to read about their blooming attraction instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I definitely skim for characters names sometimes. I think there's a lot to the theory that we can't see in their head so it holds our interest. Sometimes MC's just talk and talk and think and think and it gets old.

    ReplyDelete