Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Jumping back in and Behind the Song release day

Well, summer is disappearing and fall is filtering in. That means school is starting and my schedule finally gets back to normal. I do love being with my kids, but a schedule change is nice too.
It also means buckling down and getting some writing done. I'm still struggling on my fantasy. The thing is I don't have the heart to give it up. I like the darkness of it. It's a manuscript I work on here and there.

I do have some new ideas, but the characters seem a bit shy about showing me too much of who they are. This is what I should be focusing on. New stuff. The problem is my brain has other ideas. See below.

The one thing I will be tackling is a revision of a manuscript I wrote long ago. I can't get it out of my head, and once I figured out what the first chapter should be, I'm now hooked on making this book shine.  It has aliens, teen problems, and a little romance. Are some of those cliché? Probably, but you know what? I don't care. I'm writing this book for me. I have no intention of doing anything with it other than to use it to strengthen my writing skills. I need to work on something that has no rules because that is what keeps getting in the way. It keeps me questioning things and it brings on fear. This book is purely for me to have fun.

I started listening to the playlist I made for it way back when.  Here are some great tunes that fit this book.

-Letters from the Sky by Civil Twilight
-Panic Switch by Silversun Pickups
-I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab for Cutie
-Come Alive by Foo Fighters
-Knights of Cydonia by Muse
-No You Girls by Franz Ferdinand
-Tick Tick Boom by The Hives
-Get Free by The Vines
-Shadowplay by The Killers
-Mad World by Gary Jules and Michael Andrews

There's more but I think you get it. I need music to write. I've said it before that I have a playlist for every idea I have come up with. I'm not kidding. These songs are a little dated because that's when I started this manuscript. It actually feels good to play this list and the feelings come back again.

Another thing I'm excited for is this:
https://www.kmwalton.com/behind-the-song-hold

Behind the Song

It is edited by the lovely K.M. Walton. Who is awesome! Congrats Kate!
Here is the blurb from Goodreads:

A song to match everyone's heartbeat.
A soaring melody, a pulse-pounding beat, a touching lyric: Music takes a moment and makes it a memory. It’s a universal language that can capture love, heartbreak, loss, soul searching, and wing spreading—all in the span of a few notes. In Behind the Song, fourteen acclaimed young adult authors and musicians share short stories and personal essays inspired by the songs, the albums, the musicians who move them.
So cue up the playlist and crank the volume. This is an anthology you’ll want to experience on repeat.

There are so many amazing people in this anthology. It is released today! So go and get it!


So what are you reading?

What are you working on?

Have a great day!