Friday, August 13, 2010

Thanks to the chicks who rock and any advice?

Well, It's Friday the 13th. Ohhh scary. Anyone superstitious? Actually 13 is my favorite number. It always appears in some form or another for me.


A couple of links to check out. You may have already read these. I'm behind.
One on editing from QueryTracker

The other from Novel Journey I can't get the article to just come up so you will have to scroll down to August 6th. Sorry for the work but it's about juggling family life and writing.

WriteOnCon is done and please go give the fabulous ladies who organized it some love. What a great idea and so very helpful. The link should take you to the founders page where you can click onto each of these awesome ladies websites. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your hard work. It was a success and extremely helpful (yes I said it was helpful twice). Also, thank you to the amazing authors, agents and editors who conducted such great workshops/vlogs/posts/live chats.This is where I've been for the past three days.

So I have a problem. You probably know that I'm in a book club. A friend of mine started it and since I'm in love with books I joined. I figured it would help me read books I would probably never look at. I was right all of the books I have read for it-- I would have never picked up on my own. They have opened my eyes to other styles of writing and all of them were very good. Now, at the next meeting I have to pick two books for the group to decide on to read for the meeting in November (which I'm hosting). I can tell you that pretty much all of  the members do not read YA. YA is my thing-- it's what I love  to read and write. Throw some paranormal/scifi stuff in there and I'm in heaven. My thing is-- I want to pick two books that may appeal to someone who does not normally read YA. Maybe I'm looking into this too much but let me list the books we have read so far.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
A Soft Place to Land by Susan Rebecca White (this was my favorite out of the three)
I'm now reading --A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

So I'm looking to you guys on suggestions. What would your two picks be for a book club to read?(for a club that is not particularly YA).

Have a great weekend!