Friday, November 21, 2014

Cover addiction

 

I have to say, I'm addicted to beautiful covers. I know, it sounds shallow, but I have to admit it. I'm drawn to them. It's like my chocolate problem. It doesn't mean I don't read books that don't have a sweeping jacket. It's just an interesting cover catches my attention. Of course, the premise of the story has to fit my liking too. I don't buy them to sit on the shelf and look pretty, they must do their job and live up to what their shell is exposing.

I just finished RUIN AND RISING by Leigh Bardugo (yep, I'm a big fan). The writing is gorgeous as well as the story is interesting. It takes a lot for me to stay with a series. The cover is pretty, but it's not what drew me to the book first. Between reviews and word of mouth that's it's super awesome, I had to dive into the world of the Fold and the Darkling.


I just picked up SNOW LIKE ASHES by Sara Raasch. The cover is what drew me to the book first. Then after I read the premise, the purchase was made. A first person, present tense fantasy--sold.

Snow Like Ashes

(Very pretty.)

Maybe it's the design gene in me to be visual first, but covers are important after the story of course. 
Then again, this whole business is subjective so this is my opinion and I hope I'm not coming off as stuffy. It's just an addiction of mine.

As you can see, I'm reading fantasies. It's not only for pleasure, but research. The book I'm writing now is, well, a fantasy. If you are writing or about to take that first step, don't forget to read, read, read. Know what's out there in the genre you want to be in and how others do it. They are an incredible teaching tool.

What is your favorite cover?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Have a great weekend!!